🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What if I am the person who doesn't open ...
Page options
mediawon
Community Member

What if I am the person who doesn't open my own business? [Form W-8, non US]

Hi there,

I am a graduating studnet of Toronto, and I would like to do freelancing on my own. 

I also don't have a Canadian citizenship, but I am eligible for a full-time job here. 

Please anybody helps me if I would be able to freelance in Toronto as my status.

While I was filling with the form of W-8, I just thought about that. Do I need to open my business and fill with the name of my business on W-8 form?

Thanks in advance.

Won.J

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Wonkyung, 

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. You will need to fill up the form with your legal name, and address that matches the information on your Upwork profile. 

Also, I would recommend that you check with a local advisor if you can work on Upwork as a freelancer as you may need to have the correct work VISA to freelance on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Wonkyung, 

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. You will need to fill up the form with your legal name, and address that matches the information on your Upwork profile. 

Also, I would recommend that you check with a local advisor if you can work on Upwork as a freelancer as you may need to have the correct work VISA to freelance on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hey, I'm not a tax payer. I'm an Indian student working online. What do I do?

Hi Sakshi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. You will need to fill up the form with your legal name, and address that matches the information on your Upwork profile. 

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths