🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What if I don't have the time to do the job a...
Page options
rlong98
Community Member

What if I don't have the time to do the job after all (where job offer was misunderstood)

Hypothetical,

I don't know what happens on the Employeer side.

Let's say they desire help with some Excel formula and the description was reading one thing, but then you get hired and it's NOTHING what they were looking for, or more complex...  And you don't have the time to do what they want or skillset?

When you are selected to do a job - does their POST get removed from the Active Feed?  (I would imagine yes becasue it's unfair to others to lose credits to apply).

Is there some Cancel Feature where you part ways - and the Client's post re-activates?

Thank you team!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Whether or not a client's job post is automatically removed from active status when you accept the job, or it stays online for other freelancers to send proposals to... that is based on a setting that the client chooses.

It has nothing to do with you as a freelancer.

And it has nothing to do with anything after you accept a job.

There is no way that you can cancel your contract in manner that causes a job posting to reactivate.

A job posting and a job contract are separate things.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Robert: A freelancer can cancel a job or contract AT ANY TIME.

Simply navigate to the job listing and click the "three dots" icon and select the option to cancel or close the contract.

To be professional, talk to the client before doing so.

But the user interface has no restrictions.

And something to keep in mind:

Clients want a project to get done.

They don't care if it is YOU who does the project.

So although it is true that switching to a new freelancer to finish work on a project can be unwelcome... it is much better to be informed that a freelancer can't finish, then to be kept in the dark.

If I hire you to do Task X, them I would like you to do so. But if you can not do so within my timeframe, then let me know so I can transition the work to someone else.

Whether or not a client's job post is automatically removed from active status when you accept the job, or it stays online for other freelancers to send proposals to... that is based on a setting that the client chooses.

It has nothing to do with you as a freelancer.

And it has nothing to do with anything after you accept a job.

There is no way that you can cancel your contract in manner that causes a job posting to reactivate.

A job posting and a job contract are separate things.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Robert L wrote:

Hypothetical,

I don't know what happens on the Employeer side.

Let's say they desire help with some Excel formula and the description was reading one thing, but then you get hired and it's NOTHING what they were looking for, or more complex...  And you don't have the time to do what they want or skillset?

When you are selected to do a job - does their POST get removed from the Active Feed?  (I would imagine yes becasue it's unfair to others to lose credits to apply).

Is there some Cancel Feature where you part ways - and the Client's post re-activates?

Thank you team!

To answer your question, there is no "cancel" button but you can end the contract at any time as can the employer.  However, if you end a contract without being paid, your JSS will suffer.  

If a client hires a freelancer, their job post will still be live unless they close it.  Many times clients keep it open in case they need more than 1 freelancer or if the initial freelancer relationship doesn't work out.  

A few recommendations:

* Never accept a job you are not 100% sure you can do

* Ask to review the materials before you accept the job 

* Make sure you are ready, willing and able to start the project before you accept (you must have everything you need to begin in case the client disappears once the contract begins)

Ok - this part I wasn't sure on.

How can I ask for more information without proposing for the job?  I seem to lose credits when going it about my way.

Thank you!

re: "How can I ask for more information without proposing for the job?"

You can't.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Robert, 

I checked your account and can confirm that there is no contract in place yet. The client is yet to send you an offer, and when they do, this should appear in your Messages room with the client. When you accept an offer, a contract is automatically created in your My Jobs/All Contracts page. Before you start working, we always recommend that you make sure that the contract is active, and the client's billing method is verified. 

Since you are still in interviewing with the client, you can end your relationship with them by letting them know you do not wish to move forward with the project. This will not affect your account, and the job post in any way. 

Since you are new, I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members