cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if clients get away after finish the project? the project has been finished in a week.

Highlighted
Pedro S Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
1 of 23

Hi Upworkers.

Thanks for your hard work and support.

I have question of client actions.

For example, I have finished the project in a week and trakced the time over Upwork.

What if the client remove the payment after finish the project?

We all know that payment is available after 15 days but before 15 days, what happens if client remove his payment and I still have logged time from his contract?

Can I still get paid or suspended from you guys?

I need the answers seperately  in both of  logged time manually and via Upwork TimerTracker.

Right now, client insist me to use manual time over UpWork.

Thank you so much for take a time to look this post and expects any kind of answers from you guys.

Best Regards.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 23

I'm relatively new to Upwork, so I'm not 100% sure of the answers to your questions, but this throws up a big red flag for me...

"Right now, client insist me to use manual time over UpWork."

If I'm not mistaken, you have to use the time tracker so you get paid automatically. Manual hours have to be manually approved, and as a result, can also be declined by the client. And if they do a runner then you probably won't be covered by the hourly gauranteee if you've not used the tracker. 

Unless there's some valid circumstance (which would probably be rare), the only reason I can see that a client would insist that you don't use the time tracker, is if they don't want to pay you for all your work. I could be wrong... maybe I'm just being overly-suspicious. Like if I got in someone's car and they insisted I didn't wear my seatbelt... I'd be slightly suspicious.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 23

Both manual time and tracked hours are billed and charged automatically, up to the weekly limit. Neither have to be approved. (Both can be disputed, but without a dispute within the5 day review period after the end of the work week they are considered approved!"

BUT

Manual time is NOT subject to the hourly payment guarantee.

This means should the client dispute the hours manual hours will be removed / reversed. The client wins a dispute over manual hours by default.

If the client fails to pay any time logged that does not qualify for the guarantee, such as manual time (!) - segments with low activity, time with insufficient or missing work memos, and time spent on non work related tasks will probably also be taken away.

If you do hourly work make sure you track your time, have proper memos, decent activity levels, and no non-work related screenshots.

That way your chances of winning a dispute are very high, and if the client fails to pay you are covered because Upwork will still pay you.

Highlighted
4 of 23

Thanks for your quick answers.

I really appreciate it.

But here is another question which i don't understand.

let's assume that I've used time track over upwork and finished the project in a week.

but the client removed the payment gateway from his account after.

I have still 7 days behind final payment.

Does it still mean that I can get paid even if client remove the payment from his account?

we all know that tracked time is just a virtual funds over Upwork until final payment which takes 15 days?

Also, when I use time track and clients doesn't make a dispute on me , just removed the payment gateway from his account?

I look forward your answers.

Thanks, Petra

Best Regards

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 23

@Pedro S wrote:

let's assume that I've used time track over upwork and finished the project in a week.

but the client removed the payment gateway from his account after.

Does it still mean that I can get paid even if client remove the payment from his account?

If the client has paid he can not "remove" the payment. (well, they can via a chargeback but that gets messy for the client too) but they CAN dispute. They also cannot remove their payment method, which is automatically charged on the Monday after the work week ends. However, clearly they can fail to pay by making sure there are no available funds on the payment method.

What happens in that case is that the client's account is (eventually) suspended. If Upwork are unable to collect the money you earned you will still get paid provided there is no dispute, provided that all hours are logged correctly (no manual time, sufficient memos, sufficient activities, all purely work related screenshots, and there is no sign of any "funny business" going on)

Highlighted
6 of 23

Thanks for your support.

so every monday, I get paid actually but if you guys failed to collect funds from his payment method, you guys suspend the contract and client's account?

tell me what happens this case.

let's assume that I've hired today which is friday.

I work over weekend and logged time 10 hrs manually.

and next monday, you guys collects funds actually from his account. right? answer this question if it's correct or not.

and what if you fail to collect funds from his payment gateway?

All this stuffs will be happened in 3 days. ( in this case)

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
7 of 23
The UpWork hourly protection is only in place when Time Tracker is used, the screenshots prove that freelancer has been working on the project, activity levels are decent and there are memos of what it is you were working on. Hourly protection does not include Manual time, so if the client rejects your logged in hours, they could get away with not paying you. So to me the client insisting on manual time sounds fishy.

Is the client new? Do you have messages here on UpWork where they want you to use manual time?
Highlighted
8 of 23

He has no feedback over upwork but he has verified payment.

What I seriously wanna know is that even if I work for a week, does it mean that you guys are billed from him actually?

or is it just virtual payment over Upwork ?

When do you guys billing from clients?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 23

@Pedro S wrote:

1) He has no feedback over upwork but he has verified payment.

2) What I seriously wanna know is that even if I work for a week, does it mean that you guys are billed from him actually?

3) or is it just virtual payment over Upwork ?

4) When do you guys billing from clients?

Thanks.

1) OK. Are you hired? Have you worked? Did you use the tracker or manual time? How many hours?

2) Any hours you work this week gets billed and charged on Monday after 12 noon UTC

3) I have no idea what you mean

4) see 2

Highlighted
10 of 23

1) OK. Are you hired? Have you worked? Did you use the tracker or manual time? How many hours?

2) Any hours you work this week gets billed and charged on Monday after 12 noon UTC

3) I have no idea what you mean

4) see 2

1) not yet. I 'm collecting the information. I intend to use manual time.
2) Thanks for the answer.
3) I mean the funds in my account , is it actual funds or not?
4) Thanks.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS