cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Upwork's position on extremely low pay for jobs?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Juan P Member Since: Nov 29, 2016
1 of 11

I mean, there are some ridiculous low paying jobs. I understand it is up to the freelancer whether to accept them or not but come on! There's a posting that the client will pay 50 cents for 100 words and they expect you to write 2,500 words per day and work 6 days a week. If you do the math, that would equate to $12.5 per day for I don't know how many hours it would take you to write 2,500 words in a day. At 40 hours it would be around $1.80 per hour minus fees. How is this legal?

I'm not a writer or anything but it bothers me that some people would try to take advantage of other people just because they live in a different country and I would like to know what is the company's position on these low wages.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Alexander F Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
2 of 11

Give it some time and that job will have 20 proposals. 

There are many "freelancers" here that love those pathetic jobs

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 11

I understand that but I want to know what's Upwork's position on these kind of jobs. I'm assuming they're totally cool with it since they allow it

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 11

They won't do anything as long as these dumb writers keep doing it. Trust me, there are a lot of them to choose from in the writing section. They'll never run out of passionate writers.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 11

The company is in a position to do lots of good to improve people's lives by providing a platform that allows clients and freelancers to connect and work. A lot of those people probably go for those jobs because they are desperate and Upwork is allowing clients to take advantage of that desperation

Highlighted
Community Guru
Alexander F Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
6 of 11

And it has been like that, and will continue to be like that.

There are many clients who don't care if they receive garbage written by some guy who can barely put two sentences together, and there are thousands of freelancers who are experts in writing that garbage.  

Why should you care? If they´re are willing to work for peanuts, that's their problem. What's it have to do with you? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 11

@Juan P wrote:

The company is in a position to do lots of good to improve people's lives by providing a platform that allows clients and freelancers to connect and work. A lot of those people probably go for those jobs because they are desperate and Upwork is allowing clients to take advantage of that desperation

You should care less about what they should do and just do you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 11

@Juan P wrote:

If you do the math, that would equate to $12.5 per day for I don't know how many hours it would take you to write 2,500 words in a day. At 40 hours it would be around $1.80 per hour minus fees. How is this legal?

Those people churn out between 500 and 750 words of drivel in an hour. The hourly rate this works out at is more than ten times the minimum wage in at least one of the countries where a lot of those freelancers come from......

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 11

I don't represent Upwork so this is only my opinion. Low paying jobs will abound at Upwork as long as freelancers are willing to do the work AND Upwork can turn a profit from the fees they generate.

Lynn K Member Since: Jul 9, 2017
10 of 11

It saddens me that Upwork allows this to happen. These employers should be made to, at the very least, charge minimum wage equal to that of laws of the state, province, or country of the person they are hiring. Anything less should be not allowed. Upwork needs to do its part to do what is right for the people that work here.

I think to solely blame entrepreneurs for accepting these low wages is a cop-out and is not the substantive issue here. Upwork has a real opportunity to make their site a place of excellence by ensuring their site does not turn into a feeding ground for low-level dwellers. They can make new policy to ensure self-serving employers who run sweatshops, and who pay ridiculous wages not be allowed on the site.

It is certainly not uplifting for anyone to work at rates like those mentioned in this post.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS