🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What is a Ghost Writer
Page options
dee_lee
Community Member

What is a Ghost Writer

Hello and Goodmorning,

I am reaching out because I have a few questions as to what a Ghost Writers job actually is. 

My research:

From my research on ghostwriters, a ghostwriter is supposed to take the basic structure, or more of a story, and add detail. Paint the picture with outlines, or drawings provided because the author may not be good at painting. So the author would hand over either a rough draft so that the ghostwriter could add more detail and flourish to the story. Or the author gives character information, plot lines, and maybe some scene settings, to the ghostwriter and the GW takes it from there. 

My experince on Upwork:

I have been contract twice to ghostwrite, which is great. However both times the "author" has given me basic information, things:

• Reverse Harem (5 guys, 1 girl)
  • Werewolfs,
  • Rich Billionair Main Male
  • Big City
  • 5000 words a chapter approximatly

They did not provide any background for the character, no other in depth character information, no timeline, no plot lines, not even major plot points. I terminated the contracts for both of them, the first because it seemed the "Author" didn't know what they wanted. "We want werewolves, human girl, set in the time before settles took over the land", "Actually we want it in New York City, all humans, 5 billionair guys, 1 common girl.", "We really like the work you have submitted so far but the author has decided that they want it set in Romainia, 5 male vampires, 1 female human.". The second one I just terminated because she wasnt able to provide me with any other information because basic (and very common) troppes, and a couple of character characteristic like, "Billionair Main Male, Drives a Sports Car, Shy over worked Main Female, rescued by Male". And I wasn't comfertable coming up with, fleshing out, and writing the whole story and then giving away all rights and royalties to a story I wrote based on basic and overly used/common aspects. 

So what is a ghostwriter?

9 REPLIES 9
6bfcdaf8
Community Member

Welcome to upwork! As you quickly figured out, there are all types of clients here. Similar scenarios happen in all areas and not only writing. You will learn how to see if a client is the right fit for you even from their job post, or feedback history so you won't apply to their jobs. Some will reveal themselves during the interview period. 

You can either be a consultative sales person, educating your client about what you can or can't provide and what they are supposed to expect or you can simply avoid clients that you think is not a good fit.

Adjusting your prices to the correct level can also help. Think about a writer who is never bothered by such clients. How much is such a writer charging?

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Deborah, use all 15 Skills and add your Portfolio. Thanks!

dee_lee
Community Member

Neither of those actually answers my question about what a ghostwriter actually is. 

Google "ghostwriter": 

What does a ghostwriter do?

williamtcooper_0-1668621780536.jpeg

A ghostwriter is someone hired to author a book that someone else will be credited for. Quite simply, you're paying someone to write your book for you. Shockingly, there is no comprehensive online resource that answers all the common questions about ghostwriting and explains the different options for authors.

A ghostwriter is a person who writes a piece of material, receives money (usually) but none of the credit.

As others have said, the working definition is up to the clients. You have to decide if you feel it is ethical. I have seen jobs where they want you to "spin" the content or even steal from another document, but "spin" it a bit. There are many people who have columns or blogs or papers they don't want to or can't write themselves. Everything from a blog on cooking to advanced medial and science journal submissions appear for ghostwriting.

bilal1983
Community Member

Each client on UW may have their own definition of what a ghostwriter is, so I think as a freelancer you should ask what the clients expectation is. They may loosely use the term ghostwriter. My understanding of a ghostwriter is someone who does all the heavy-lifting as far as writing is concerned but the written material is published under someone else's name.

Often clients use a title in their job description, which is not technically accurate as per the job description. And this is the case across different niches. So, freelancers can tell you what a ghostwriter is in their UW worldview, but you may come across a client who has a different take on it. As Alper said: Welcome to Upwork!  🙂

elisa_b
Community Member

In addition to what has been said, there is no ghostwriter if there is no detailed briefing.

kfarnell
Community Member

Fundamentally, it just means you don't take the credit for what you've written. Hence the 'ghost' because you can't be seen.

It seems you're talking about fiction. Your understanding is right when considering higher range projects. They certainly come up here and have been my best paying projects. Your hourly rate is a bit low to be taken seriously for that and you need a convincing (and focused) profile and decent samples to send - from previous projects or work published under your own name. 

At the lower end, what you've described is common. They usually pay appallingly for the amount of work and are only really worth it if you're seriously into that sort of writing and practised enough to do it speedily. Some people choose to do those sorts of projects to get started if they don't have publishing credits/past clients. I'm unconvinced because it would be all too easy to get stuck at that level.

colettelewis
Community Member

Adding to Kim's excellent and experienced advice, unless you come to some sort of agreement with an Upwork client about getting credit for work that you are paid for, anything you write for a client on this site is, in a sense, ghostwriting. If you're not comfortable with the sort of jobs you describe, then don't apply for them.  One thing you could look out for is writing biography. However, I think you need to acquire quite a bit more experience, and a portfolio before launching into this type of writing. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members