🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What is a 'username' ?
Page options
ravster02
Community Member

What is a 'username' ?

Hi there,

I've been using this account since the elance days and I've always used it to find people for certain jobs I needed completing.

But now I'm offering my services so I'm creating another account using my business email.

I've started the sign up process so I've input my email address, my first name, surname, country and I've chosen the 'I would like to work' option.

But then it's asking for a username.

My question is this: Does the username I choose have to match the name I put into the first name and surname fields?

For example, in the fist name field I put 'Fred' and in the surname I put 'Flinstone'. Do I need my username to contain any of these two names?

The reason I ask is because I would like to use an online persona just for upwork.

8 REPLIES 8
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ravi, 

You can use whatever username you wish to use. Your username can be a unique combination of different characters (numbers, letters, symbols), and will ultimately depend on you. 

I would also like to note that clients can use their client accounts and create a freelancer account from their client account. You may read more about it here. 

~ Avery
Upwork
ravster02
Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

But what name will potential future clients see? Will they see my 'first name' and 'surname' or the name I put into the 'username' field?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ravi,

Your first name and last initial will show on your profile. In messages, the client will see full First and Last name. Username won't be displayed in Messages or profile.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

People can reach me through username?

Hi MD Mashud Rana,

Your username is not shared publicly. Clients can send you an invite through your profile link. Please let us know if you have further questions. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you so much.

0cec2b90
Community Member

Hi there. I am also looking for my username and as far as I know, I did not create one.  I have 3 names and a surname, quite long, I know.  I send the client my user ID, is that the user name ... I could not change it.

I went to Settings > Contact Info > Account and did not see a user name, but a User ID and I am not quite sure if I sent them the right information.

Hi Juanita Janka Xanthe,

I would like to clarify that your first name and last initial will show on your profile. In messages, the client will see full First and Last name.  But your Username (or User ID) won't be displayed in Messages or profile. It can only be visible to you under the Settings. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths