Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is acceptable what isn't?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
1 of 8

I am getting mixed messages from Upwork, so here are my questions.

1) It is OK for freelancers to give free samples but not OK for clients to ask for them? (i.e. it is OK to correct a sample  provided the client hasn't asked in so many words for the freelancer to correct same?) 

2) It is OK to give contact details urls etc. in a proposal?

3) It is OK to write people's essays, course work, dissertations etc. And it is also OK to put this in your profile?

4) You HAVE to reply to invitations even though you know they are fraudulent.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
2 of 8

UNofficially:

1) It is OK for freelancers to give free samples but not OK for clients to ask for them? (i.e. it is OK to correct a sample  provided the client hasn't asked in so many words for the freelancer to correct same?) 

I give free samples from time to time if the contract is big enough. No one should have a right to tell you NOT to do so. As for clients asking? I think they have to offer pay for the sample.

2) It is OK to give contact details urls etc. in a proposal?

From what i remember,  yet have not seen any actual offical 'rules', you need to wait for the client to reply to your application before giving contact details.

3) It is OK to write people's essays, course work, dissertations etc. And it is also OK to put this in your profile?

No, it's not OK.

I believe that if your work breaks the rules of the third party, it is not allowed. ie: Breaks the terms and conditions of a website (capchta, paid reviews etc)

4) You HAVE to reply to invitations even though you know they are fraudulent.

Correct. At least decline the invite. And do so within 24 hours or you get penalized. Even if that means it's over the weekend when most people take time off to be with family and friends. My understanding is that Upwork does not recognize the personal lives of contractors, or adhere to standard employment laws. Although we are legally 'contractors', we are also governed by Upwork's own employment regulations.

Hope that gives you a little info until you get an official reply from a mod Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 8

I have a problem with trying to equate Upwork's ToS with what they turn a blind eye to.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 8
"I have a problem with trying to equate Upwork's ToS with what they turn a blind eye to."

Then don't try. Problem solved.
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 8

Hi Nichola,

Tony got almost all the points correct. I would just like to add some reference as well as clarifications:

1. From Client Policies: "Requesting free work of any kind is prohibited, including contests in which freelancers submit work with no to very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount."

It is not advisable for freelancers to provide free samples either. It is the best to direct a potential client to your portfolio.

2. Recently it has been allowed for freelancers to share their contact information in job applications. It is still not allowed to share contact details publicly in job postings and on freelancer profiles.

3.  From Client Policies: "Requesting the creation of content that violates academic integrity is prohibited."

Please, report job postings and profiles that are in violation of this policy.

4. Please, decline applications that you are not interested in for any reasons in order to maintain good responsiveness score.

I hope this information helps. Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8
"Recently it has been allowed for freelancers to share their contact information in job applications"

I totally understand why people would want to share a website that highlights their work... Clearly this is allowed to do in a job application.

But why would anybody want to share more contact info than that in a job application?

I'm not making a point. I'm sincerely asking. I doubt you'll change my mind and my own personal practices, but I am curious.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
7 of 8

Skype ID is a good example

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 8

Valeria,

Many thanks for clarifying. On the first point though, there is a grey area. If freelancers are allowed to give free samples, but clients aren't. All a client has to do (and does) is to add an attachment which is clearly intended as a test, but without specifying one way or another.

On the third point, would it be possible for Upwork to add a separate category for academic dishonesty to the violations list? I am yet to be convinced that anything is done about it when reported, simply because it seems to take such a long time for any action to be taken on any violation. I have also noticed that there are many freelancers who state quite plainly on their profiles that they help with course work and write essays and dissertations etc.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS