Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: What is going on with clients?

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
11 of 53

Lexidh - And I recently lost out on a job because the client picked a freelancer who offered to do the job for nothing. 

Ace Contributor
Lexidh S Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
12 of 53

Joan S wrote:

Lexidh - And I recently lost out on a job because the client picked a freelancer who offered to do the job for nothing. 


That is just crazy. Will they even get rated for that on this platform? 

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
13 of 53

Lexidh - No, the freelancer won't get rated for the work she did for free - but she is new & had not gotten any jobs & I think she offered to do the work for free because she thought she would get a rating & a job to show that she had done. She won't get either. Live and learn.

Ace Contributor
Lexidh S Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
14 of 53

Joan S wrote:

Lexidh - No, the freelancer won't get rated for the work she did for free - but she is new & had not gotten any jobs & I think she offered to do the work for free because she thought she would get a rating & a job to show that she had done. She won't get either. Live and learn.


Freelancers should really get a thorough walk-trough of these topics before being able to apply for jobs =/ There are SO many clients out there that want to take advantage! And it's not like UpWork earned any money on this either, it's not in their interest that we are paid nothing!

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
15 of 53

Lexidh - It is against Upwork's Terms of Service to ask for free work but a freelancer can offer to do free work. I think it should be against Terms of Service for a freelancer to offer to do free work. No one benefits from that because even the client is probably going to get sub-par work done and Upwork gets nothing.

Ace Contributor
Lexidh S Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
16 of 53

Joan S wrote:

Lexidh - It is against Upwork's Terms of Service to ask for free work but a freelancer can offer to do free work. I think it should be against Terms of Service for a freelancer to offer to do free work. No one benefits from that because even the client is probably going to get sub-par work done and Upwork gets nothing.


I totally agree. It's a no-win situation, even though the client might think it is great. If they only knew...

This widget could not be displayed.
17 of 53
This widget could not be displayed.
All the information is available on the website. The problem is the scammers don't read any of it until they trap themselves and then ask the "why me?" questions on the forum.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 53

Joan S wrote:

Lexidh - And I recently lost out on a job because the client picked a freelancer who offered to do the job for nothing. 


Joan, I doubt that you lost out on anything. A "client" who would take a desperate stranger up on an offer to work for free out of desperation is not the kind of person you want to do business with.

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
19 of 53

I could have used the job, but you are right. The client is really cheap and not someone I would want to work for.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
20 of 53

Lexidh S wrote:


I wish we had some statistics to see if it really is helping or hurting them to let people sell their services for next to nothing. One thing is doing small favors and paid tests for a few dollars, but is there a benefit to be a site filled with mostly underpaid freelancers that are spending so much time to wade trough the sea of scamming clients?


I can't imagine that raising the hourly minimum to at least $5 and raising the project minimum to at least $30 would deter anyone (and if it did, then wouldn't that be a good thing?).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS