cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with clients?

Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
1 of 53

I just checked into messages and the UpWork page came up saying" it takes on average 3 days for a client to hire a freelancer"  you should really change that to 6 weeks to never. I just got and finished a 35 hour job and it took the client 6 weeks to decide because as he said, he was going through some 60 proposals he received. 

I have 14 active candidacies  and 35 submitted proposals 

out there in the ether and all are not hiring anyone, but most have 50+ proposals 

Those proposals would have been 6 connects each based on the new system. = 210 x $0.15 = $31.15 and not a job in sight - as I said, the other small job I had send a proposal 6 weeks ago so I have no idea at the moment of what is going on.

I get an email once a week with 10 jobs from UpWork, but they are all 3-4 days old and have 50+ proposals already - there were jobs offered where the client had send out 40 invitations - this whole thing is a nightmare and if UpWork does not get this situation under controll the future looks dismal 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 53

Hermann M wrote:

if UpWork does not get this situation under controll the future looks dismal 

They are taking measures. They just dropped the free connects, now freelancers have to pay to bid, moving the spamming of job posts from free to not free anymore.

The feeling,or at least the hope, some have is that Upwork is somehow tiering it's marketplace. rest assured that the most successful freelancers, those who actually bring money to Upwork have no problems getting hired and earning well. Low earners on the other hand may have reasons to be concerned.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Leader
Rafsun S Member Since: Feb 10, 2018
3 of 53

Capture.PNG

It doesn't seem that Hermann is a low earner! He also has a Top Rated Badge with 100% JSS. Then why he has this concerned! I also want to know this! 

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
4 of 53

Rafsun S wrote:

Capture.PNG

It doesn't seem that Hermann is a low earner! He also has a Top Rated Badge with 100% JSS. Then why he has this concerned! I also want to know this! 

I can only speak for myself, but of course it's frustrating when you spend time - and now, money - applying for jobs and get no response. I make pretty good money on Upwork and I hugely appreciate the clients that I've acquired here, but that doesn't mean that I think everything is perfect. Sometimes people just like to vent.

Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
5 of 53

My feeling is that something has changed about 2 months ago. It was much easier getting jobs before that. I get the feeling that UW has started keeping a lot of US jobs for US freelancers by promoting to US companies to offer jobs to US based Freelancers and the crumbs are left for the rest.... I have seen a thread where this was in a way confirmed.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 53

Hermann M wrote:

My feeling is that something has changed about 2 months ago. It was much easier getting jobs before that. I get the feeling that UW has started keeping a lot of US jobs for US freelancers by promoting to US companies to offer jobs to US based Freelancers and the crumbs are left for the rest.... I have seen a thread where this was in a way confirmed.

Every summer someone says things have changed and things have happened and something is going on. The best thing to do is find things outside of Upwork to fill in Upwork gaps. A couple weeks ago, I made $300 on Upwork, which is extremely low compared to my average income on here. It happens. You gotta find other ways to make money to make up for those times. Maybe it's build up a savings account. Maybe it's work other places. Maybe it's go out and do a hobby or learn something. Whatever you do is up to you, but you have to accept that freelancing is never a guarantee and upwork is not a place where you will be making the same amount each week or month. You will have slow times.

Community Guru
7 of 53

Hermann M wrote:

Yes, I think you're right about that.

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
8 of 53

Hermann - Well, Upwork is a US company. Maybe they are tired of being flooded with job seekers from all over the world.

Community Guru
9 of 53

Joan S wrote:

Hermann - Well, Upwork is a US company. Maybe they are tired of being flooded with job seekers from all over the world.

Well, if they're tired of receiving 20% of the $78/hour that I'm charging, they should just let me know.

It seems like an easier way for them to make a profit would be to simply raise their hourly and project minimums. Plus, nearly all of the scams that are reported in the forum involve low-paying clients and low-charging freelancers - why not just get rid of them? I don't see how it's any benefit to get 20% of $3/hour.

Ace Contributor
Lexidh S Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
10 of 53

Christine A wrote:

Joan S wrote:

It seems like an easier way for them to make a profit would be to simply raise their hourly and project minimums. Plus, nearly all of the scams that are reported in the forum involve low-paying clients and low-charging freelancers - why not just get rid of them? I don't see how it's any benefit to get 20% of $3/hour.

I wish we had some statistics to see if it really is helping or hurting them to let people sell their services for next to nothing. One thing is doing small favors and paid tests for a few dollars, but is there a benefit to be a site filled with mostly underpaid freelancers that are spending so much time to wade trough the sea of scamming clients?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS