Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with clients?

Ace Contributor
Lexidh S Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
21 of 53

Christine A wrote:

Lexidh S wrote:

I wish we had some statistics to see if it really is helping or hurting them to let people sell their services for next to nothing. One thing is doing small favors and paid tests for a few dollars, but is there a benefit to be a site filled with mostly underpaid freelancers that are spending so much time to wade trough the sea of scamming clients?

I can't imagine that raising the hourly minimum to at least $5 and raising the project minimum to at least $30 would deter anyone (and if it did, then wouldn't that be a good thing?).

I totally agree on the $5 hourly minimum, but smaller translating projects I'm more than happy to do for less than $30. Like a birth certificate where I've got a template, won't take me many minutes, wouldn't expect to be paid $30 for that. But raising it to $10 or $15 would definitely do good things for the freelancers and the quality of the job postings!

This widget could not be displayed.
22 of 53
This widget could not be displayed.
Well, it must be hurting them which is why they're thinning the herd. If that's the motivation at all.
Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
23 of 53

Fact is, there are FL on UW  who sell their services for less than $5.00/hour or even take on 4 hours of work for $10.00 - the problem is, this might be OK for them living (locals) in a country where the average monthly income is $50.00 but it is terrible for others who live in a high cost environmennt. It also degrades the whole platform to a "cheap labour" place rather than a place for speciallists for hire with high skill & knowledge levels. 

From a marketing point of view, this is the most unfortunate branding for UW and will have severe downtrend effects over the long term. 

Ace Contributor
Bev C Member Since: Jan 2, 2018
24 of 53

If UW isn't interested in me either they're welcome to let me know. The ignorance and arrogance of the entitled **nxa** Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
25 of 53

Bev C wrote:

If UW isn't interested in me either they're welcome to let me know. The ignorance and arrogance of the entitled **nxa** Smiley Frustrated

There seems to be a serious logical flaw here. You're suggesting that if Upwork isn't interested in you at all, it would make sense for the company to invest paid worker time in culling through millions of freelancers and reaching out to you and the hundreds of thousands of other freelancers it isn't interested in to update them?

Ace Contributor
Bev C Member Since: Jan 2, 2018
26 of 53

I'm not suggesting UW do anything of the sort. I'm quite happy with what UW gives me re work and communication. It was an off the cuff replying to a comment made by Joan - 

"Well, Upwork is a US company. Maybe they are tired of being flooded with job seekers from all over the world."

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
27 of 53

Hermann M wrote:

My feeling is that something has changed about 2 months ago. It was much easier getting jobs before that. I get the feeling that UW has started keeping a lot of US jobs for US freelancers by promoting to US companies to offer jobs to US based Freelancers and the crumbs are left for the rest.... I have seen a thread where this was in a way confirmed.

That started at least a year ago.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
28 of 53

Hermann M wrote:

I just got and finished a 35 hour job and it took the client 6 weeks to decide because as he said, he was going through some 60 proposals he received. 

Surely it doesn't take 6 WEEKS to go through 60 proposals? What happened - he could only read 1.43 bids per day, and then he was too fatigued to continue? It sounds more likely that your client was in no real hurry to get his work done, which is his prerogative. 

Community Leader
Hermann M Member Since: Jul 8, 2018
29 of 53

Christine,

old marketing rule, if you want a client to make a fast decission do not offer too many choices, In case of UW it is understandable that clients get confused if lets say I offer my service for $35.00/hour and another for $5.00/hour for the same job 

Ace Contributor
Lexidh S Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
30 of 53

Hermann M wrote:

I just checked into messages and the UpWork page came up saying" it takes on average 3 days for a client to hire a freelancer"  you should really change that to 6 weeks to never.

My experience is either same day, 3-4 days, or never. Most jobs I have applied to has been closed without anyone being hired. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS