What is going on with clients?

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
31 of 53

Lexidh S - That is also my experience.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
32 of 53

idk man I think this is just stuff you can't obsess over. I bid on stuff that I know I won't win but think I'm a good fit. Whatever man. Gotta just focus on stuff that will make you money. You can't control when a client responds to you (if ever), so I think it's better to focus on ways to make money even outside of Upwork. Or take the time to relax or do something that interests you.

Community Leader
Jose Daniel M Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
33 of 53

Well, I am a low earner and I feel somewhat impacted by this.

However, I know very well this time of the year is really slow. Sadly, there no opportunities for "outside work". Unless you don't mind taking 7$ a month for a full 8hr a day job.

Community Guru
34 of 53

Jose Daniel M wrote:

Well, I am a low earner and I feel somewhat impacted by this.

However, I know very well this time of the year is really slow. Sadly, there no opportunities for "outside work". Unless you don't mind taking 7$ a month for a full 8hr a day job.

So, there is no other opportunity on the Internet for you to make money? Sad.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
35 of 53

Jose Daniel lives in Venezuela.

He is well aware that the problems in his country were not caused by Upwork, and will not be solved by Upwork.

I think we all feel for him and other people living there.

It is sad that such a resource-rich country, with a proud history and people, is suffering due to what is going on there. Hopefully things will be resolved soon. But yeah... it's been dragging on way too long and the people are really suffering for it.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
36 of 53

Preston H wrote:

He is well aware that the problems in his country were not caused by Upwork, and will not be solved by Upwork.

It is sad that such a resource-rich country, with a proud history and people, is suffering due to what is going on there. Hopefully things will be resolved soon. But yeah... it's been dragging on way too long and the people are really suffering for it.

Yes, that's all true, but I don't think that Jennifer was suggesting he confine his job search to his own country - the Internet has opportunities world-wide. Upwork isn't the only way to make money.

Community Leader
37 of 53

Of course I won't let myself lie on the ground and complain during hard times okay, maybe once in a while. Outside work and online work are two different things. Even during the crisis, I had already succeeded in several regular projects like selling a variety of food and sweets, crafting backpacks, etc. Online, I tried every "trusty" PTC under the sun (with generally positive effects), then I bought a gpu and tried my luck in a couple of games (people laughed at me and nowadays Venezuela's so important for certain game's economy that several items skyrocketed during the first days of March's national blackouts). And finally I got here in Upwork and had the most success out of every other initiative of mine. 

A few things to clear:

- I don't know your personal opinions regarding trading virtual currencies since that technically violates many games' policies, but I want you to take in mind that this is keeping alive dozens of thousands of people. 

- I am lucky that I picked a profession that happened to be door-opening and I struggled with family, friends and even my wife for months until I managed to convince them all I was doing something profitable. 

- The only other option many (including me at times) have left is leaving the country. I mean, by 2015-2017 you could live relatively well with $30-40 a month and now 2 pounds of meat costs $6 while the official salary is $7.

Community Leader
39 of 53

If they send me money, I will shut up inmediately. I mean, I've been waiting that CIA paycheck for years now. 

Also, they are most welcome to come to my house. I will gladly treat them the best way and give them the opportunity to fact check for themselves.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
39 of 53

Hi All,

We appreciate everybody's sharing their experiences freelancing in different categories, times of the year and locations. We would like to ask you to refrain from discussing politics or posting any other content contrary to the purpose of this forum. 

A few posts have been removed from this thread.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
40 of 53

Preston H wrote:

I hear they have the internets in Venezuela now.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS