cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is hourly rate?

Highlighted
Mar G Member Since: Jun 11, 2017
1 of 10

I set up my hourly rate to 15 $ as a designer. I am still not sure what it means . When the client will hire me he will hire me for like 4 days = 96 hours  , x 15 hours rate = 1536$ , i will make 1536$ in 4 days? is this how it works .

Please explain this to me will be very happy.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 10

Getting Started on Upwork

Get Paid for My Hourly Contracts

Hourly Protection for Freelancers

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 10

@Mar G wrote:

I set up my hourly rate to 15 $ as a designer. I am still not sure what it means . When the client will hire me he will hire me for like 4 days = 96 hours  , x 15 hours rate = 1536$ , i will make 1536$ in 4 days?

Would you actually be working for 96 hours in 4 days?

Obviously you only get paid for the time you are working. Clients don't hire you for 4 days. They hire you to do XYZ and you log the time it takes you.

3 hours work to get it done = 3 x your hourly rate.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Patricia M Member Since: Aug 8, 2016
4 of 10

You have to remember that in hourly contracts you have to use the time tracker, it is a ver advanced system that analyze the time that you invest in your work. It means that u have to put it on when you start working and stop it when you are finished, it will take captures of your working screen, and record the times you click the mouse and use the keyboard. If your client have the idea that you are taking advance from him, just have to make a litlle review on your work diary to know what were you doing with the time that you are billing to him

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 10

What is hourly rate?

How is this a question?

If my hourly rate is "$10 per hour," it means:

"I worked for one hour. I got paid $10.00."

It's very straightforward.

Keep in mind, however, that Upwork has fees. So if I am starting out with a new client, then the fees are 20% of my earnings. So I would get 20% taken from $10, meaning I would earn $8 for one hour of work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 10

re: "4 days = 96 hours  , x 15 hours rate = 1536$ , i will make 1536$ in 4 days? is this how it works"

That is exactly how it works if you have magical super powers that allow you to do graphic design for 24 hours a day for 4 days straight.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 10

@Preston H wrote:

re: "4 days = 96 hours  , x 15 hours rate = 1536$ , i will make 1536$ in 4 days? is this how it works"

That is exactly how it works if you have magical super powers that allow you to do graphic design for 24 hours a day for 4 days straight.

That's assuming client did not set a limit for hours worked per week, or set it to 96 or more. Cat Wink

Saira R Member Since: Jan 2, 2020
8 of 10

Hi,

Your answer is really helpful. I wanted to ask that where would I get the time tracker, from?

Is it neccessary to have desktop app of upwork? Or we can manage it online (from website)?

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
9 of 10

Hi Saira,

You can download our desktop app from Here. When you`re hired on an hourly contract, you will need to track your time with our desktop app so that your clients are billed for the time you`ve worked. To learn more about this check out this Help Article. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
10 of 10

Saira,

It is possible for a client to "allow" you to add time manually to your time log for their project, but avoid doing this if at all possible. Although the client has "allowed" it, Upwork has no means to enforce payment if the client doesn't want to pay you for manual time for any reason.

If you use Upwork Time Tracker software properly (turn it on when you start work, turn it off when you stop work, be active on your computer's keyboard while Time Tracker is on, add descriptive memos of at least 5 -10 words describing what you are working during each Time Tracker session), Upwork will see that you are paid for the Time Tracker time you track.

Good luck.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS