🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What is more important in getting jobs? A goo...
Page options
rizruhaani
Community Member

What is more important in getting jobs? A good profile or a good cover letter ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Depends on the client. I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork. I don't read cover letters.

But I know that cover letters are far more important than profile pages for many clients.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JoanneP

Hi Rizwan,

Having a good profile and cover letter are both important to get the client's attention. Your profile should provide essential information about your qualifications as a freelancer. Clients review freelancer profiles to learn more about their skills and experiences so that they can decide on who to hire for the job.

As for the cover letter, it can also influence the client's decision during the hiring process because a good cover letter provides information as to why the client should hire you and why you are the freelancer for the job. Please check out the following links for more tips on improving your profile and on how to write winning proposals:

- How to Make Your Freelancer Profile More Visible & Appealing to Big Clients on Upwork

-Enhance Your Upwork Freelancer Profile for Greater Success

- How to Create a Proposal That Wins Jobs

Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Depends on the client. I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork. I don't read cover letters.

But I know that cover letters are far more important than profile pages for many clients.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Discussing anything with community is always fruitful. I joined the upwork in 2017, left my profile incomplete and forgot it after joining due to excessive involvement in my other job commitments. Few days earlier i started finding work on upwork again and got 3 Jobs within a day from the same client
resultsassoc
Community Member

It is multiplication. Letter x Profile x Luck = Work. I've hired lots of freelancers, if you ask questions in your letter I answer them, now we're in a dialog. If profile is reasonable I don't care about your convictions for armed robbery and embezzlement. I ignore most ratings. I will look at your rate. I hire people to serve my clients' needs. My clients have high standards; if you don't think you're worth very much, why should I argue with you. I will skip past  you if you're too low.

Preston's approach is just as good. Most clients find what works for them, and it's rarely the same.

lucioric
Community Member

Other thing which helps a lot is answering quickly when you get invites. No matter if it is 3 AM, if the job is of interest to me, i answer promptly to the invites (there would be more nights to go to sleep early and tranquil). Sometimes the clients invite to 5 persons and grants the job to the first that answers (if you pass the interview filter).

About the cover letter, I recomend you to be polite, professional and somewhat warm. investigate the client's name (it can be in the reviews), and start the cover letter with a phrase like: Dear Andrew, May I help you with..?. This is the formula that has helped me a lot to get jobs. Give the client the idea that you know what is the job about and that you want to help him.

Best regards.

re: "Other thing which helps a lot is answering quickly when you get invites."

A lot of the times when I hire a freelancer it is for a very specialized, technical task. It is the type of task that presumably nobody will apply to work on unless they know how to do the work.

I will block the cover letter feature so there is no way to write a cover letter, and ask a simple question, such as "Are you available to work on this now?"

Then I post the job. I do a search for the needed skills, and send a few invites.

Then I hire the first person who applies.

After that, I remove the job post.

So, yes... sometimes being first is a successful strategy in applying to jobs.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths