🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What is my address used for?
Page options
hofmannam
Community Member

What is my address used for?

I'm a US citizen but I'm traveling around the globe. I'll be in England for the foreseeable future, but I'm not legally allowed to work in the UK.

What is the address on my profile used for? Does this make the assumption that I'm a resident of the UK for tax purposes? I want to update my location but legally I'm a US tax payer.

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Anne Marie H wrote:

I'm a US citizen but I'm traveling around the globe. I'll be in England for the foreseeable future, but I'm not legally allowed to work in the UK.

Then you can not work at all while in the UK, (that includes on Upwork)

Apologies, I wasn't very clear with my previous statement - to my understanding I'm allowed to be a remote freelancer while I'm here - I'm not allowed to be employed by UK companies or receive pay from UK persons.

So my question was more in regard to hours of operation. I want it to be clear what time zone I'm in but I shouldn't be taxed UK money.

However, your comment has encouraged me to double check on my status to be certain of the legalitites of it all! Thank you for that.

Anne Marie H wrote:

Apologies, I wasn't very clear with my previous statement - to my understanding I'm allowed to be a remote freelancer while I'm here.

The last time I spoke to UK Immigration (on behalf of someone in your situation) they told me point blank that someone on a tourist visa is not allowed to freelance while in the UK. Please make sure you call them to confirm one way or the other.

Read this

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths