🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What is needed to generate invoices for f...
Page options
researchediting
Community Member

What is needed to generate invoices for fixed-price contracts?

A prospective client is asking whether Upwork can provide them an invoice for their university's payables department. We do not yet have a contract.

When setting up a fixed-price contract, at what point does an invoice become available to the client? They would need this in order for the university either to pay me directly, or to approve reimbursement to the client.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

Just looking at my contracts in various stages, it looks like the invoice is available after the milestone is approved. 

What I've sometimes done in the past for clients getting reimbursed from their university is to issue a separate invoice (like I would for a direct-bill client), but clearly mark it in the payment terms as payable only through Upwork.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
wescowley
Community Member

Just looking at my contracts in various stages, it looks like the invoice is available after the milestone is approved. 

What I've sometimes done in the past for clients getting reimbursed from their university is to issue a separate invoice (like I would for a direct-bill client), but clearly mark it in the payment terms as payable only through Upwork.

Thanks, Wes!

I was afraid of getting stuck in a surreal has-to-be-paid-before-it-can-be-invoiced loop. This piece of intelligence and possible workaround should be enough to clear any such sticking point.

Best,

Michael

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members