Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

What is "Auto Check-ins"?

rafsun_ug
Community Guru
Rafsun S Member Since: Feb 10, 2018
1 of 162

I have seen this for the first time. 

Sequence 01.Still001.jpg

Today I had contracted with a new client and the contract is a fixed price contract. After accepting the offer, I can see this notice in my message. Would be helpful, if an expert could share a little more details about this "Auto Check-ins" in the fixed price contract. Thanks in advance. 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 162

Rafsun S wrote:

I have seen this for the first time. 

Sequence 01.Still001.jpg

Today I had contracted with a new client and the contract is a fixed price contract. After accepting the offer, I can see this notice in my message. Would be helpful, if an expert could share a little more details about this "Auto Check-ins" in the fixed price contract. Thanks in advance. 


OMG. What will you work on next week? Really? Well I guess we'll all have to get out our crystal balls and shine them up, in order to see into the future.

holoman
Active Member
Ramy H Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
3 of 162

@Virginia F OMG! This made me laugh out loud. hahahaha. You made my day! I've just started a new contract and the client has sent me that so I wanted to look it up and your comment is my first lol

 

Thank you!

wescowley
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
4 of 162

Oh, please, no, Upwork. We do not need robot babysitters. We're perfectly capable of communicating appropriate status to our clients on our own. This is absurd.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
5 of 162

Seriously? I'm quite capable of communicating with my clients without any prompting - I don't need or want a babysitter. 

 

 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
6 of 162

Oh, H E double-toothpicks, no!

 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 162

Hi All,

 

Auto Check-ins is a feature we're testing. While I won't be able to share a lot of details about the test while it's ongoing, it'd like to confirm that this is something some clients can turn on or choose not to. It is not enabled automatically. If turned on by the client, freelancers will get e-mails and messages like the one Rafsun shared. I appreciate your feedback and will be glad to pass your comments on to the team.

~ Valeria
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
8 of 162

Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

 

Auto Check-ins is a feature we're testing. While I won't be able to share a lot of details about the test while it's ongoing, it'd like to confirm that this is something some clients can turn on or choose not to. It is not enabled automatically. If turned on by the client, freelancers will get e-mails and messages like the one Rafsun shared. I appreciate your feedback and will be glad to pass your comments on to the team.


This doesn't make any sense. If a client wants to know the status of their project, why not just ask the freelancer? This degree of hand-holding is ridiculous. 

 

I'm sure that some clients do complain that their freelancer is unresponsive or missing deadlines or whatever, and Upwork is trying to address this. But I don't think that sending email prompts will suddenly make unprofessional freelancers behave more professionally.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 162
Rafsun and anyone else testing this, feel free to use these answers.

Requested tasks.
Requested tasks.
Equipment, bodily, or societal malfunction
__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 162

Christine A wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

 

Auto Check-ins is a feature we're testing. While I won't be able to share a lot of details about the test while it's ongoing, it'd like to confirm that this is something some clients can turn on or choose not to. It is not enabled automatically. If turned on by the client, freelancers will get e-mails and messages like the one Rafsun shared. I appreciate your feedback and will be glad to pass your comments on to the team.


This doesn't make any sense. If a client wants to know the status of their project, why not just ask the freelancer? This degree of hand-holding is ridiculous. 

 

I'm sure that some clients do complain that their freelancer is unresponsive or missing deadlines or whatever, and Upwork is trying to address this. But I don't think that sending email prompts will suddenly make unprofessional freelancers behave more professionally.


Lots of task management apps automate these types of processes. Team members might be prompted to add a text each week or one person's assignment is triggered when another marks their complete. This is another example of Upwork trying to be everything to everyone to prevent them from using their existing, much better solutions. And, as usual, Upwork got it wrong. Someone in Product must spend all day looking at the landing page of other people's apps and telling their developers "Make us this!" 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS