Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

What is "Auto Check-ins"?

Highlighted
Active Member
Jason Member Since: Jun 22, 2020
91 of 129

WIthout having gone through this entire thread.... I had a client turn this on recently on a super small job that should be done shortly. What happens, if anything, if I don't check in? Does it impact me in a negative way or just give my client ammunition if they have a bad experience?

Highlighted
Community Guru
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
92 of 129



One day a competitor is going to actually listen to all the feedback you ignore.

Hear, Hear! 

Highlighted
Active Member
Brad A Member Since: Nov 24, 2016
93 of 129

Prepare for the day when Microsoft launches the LinkedIn freelancing platform and corrects all the terrible mistakes here. Upwork will become the new MySpace.

Highlighted
Active Member
Mustafa Omer G Member Since: Aug 29, 2020
94 of 129

Hmm, why don't you bug the client instead?

 

- Did you give proper directions to your Freelancer for this weeks work?

- Did you end up your contract?

- Did you communicate properly this week?

- Did you surprise the freelancer with demands that you didn't mention during contract phase this week?

- Name a few things the Freelancer did that made you think good/bad about the job's progress.

- What do you think you could have done better for this job to be a success?

 

etc.

 

Client goes dark, it's Freelancers burden to find them and try to end the contract or they feel it on their stats.

Clients do not know how to do stuff, it's Freelancers job to explain.

Clients get offended when they are reminded of ToS, Freelancer loses the job.

 

and now you expect the freelancer to report?

 

Meh. N/A would suffice for all answers.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ravikant R Member Since: Apr 19, 2019
95 of 129

I've always believed that there should be a couple questions a freelancer should be able to direct at clients, which the freelancer himself/herself be able to phrase. 

For example, I do video editing here mainly. So, I should be able to set up a question for a freelancer when an offer is sent, which says:
1) Do you already have stills and logos or do you expect me to do graphic design as well?
2) Do you already have music sourced or do you want me to do the selection and consequent music edit?

Just some examples but similar thing is done by other freelancing platforms and this way freelancers can choose to throw in questions when an offer is sent without clear instructions. This kind of question-answer setup makes sense in such a scenario but what is being done here as pointed out by the OP is just bad and a waste of both the client's and freelancer's time. 


Highlighted
Community Guru
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
96 of 129

Oh, Upwork, ever hear of labor misclassification? It's a real thing in the U.S.  I hear Uber is battling this. You may want to "check-in" with your legal team again on how the US federal government views check-ins and oversight. 

 

This is just another reason why I'm broadening my income streams, looking for clients elsewhere, and doing less and less on the Upwork platform. Soon, perhaps a year or two from now, I really hope I've put my Upwork days behind me because of ridiculousness like this. 

 

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
97 of 129

David S M wrote:

Oh, Upwork, ever hear of labor misclassification? It's a real thing in the U.S. I hear Uber is battling this. You may want to "check-in" with your legal team again on how the US federal [sic] government views check-ins and oversight.


oh, btw, it's so soooper sweet Upwork is incorporated and headquartered in the State of California. I can't wait for this and the basic accounting reports which are hidden behind the discriminatory disability paywall to see the light of day. Of all the jurisdictions to find these sketchy practices, it will be the Pioneer Gold Rush State of Predatory Internet Capitalism. This probably isn't covered on Day 1 of Freelancer Daycare.

Highlighted
Active Member
Sarah L Member Since: Aug 29, 2020
98 of 129

I did a quick search and found this. It was turned on for me today. I tried not to be offended, but I had clearly stated just a moment before, as I always do, that I check in every few days. I have multiple jobs going on right now, at least 6 I can think of, if EVERY PERSON turned this on, I'd spend ages each Friday filling out the darn thing, instead of my usual, Hey, just checking in. I'm at such and such point. If you've got any questions, let me know. I'm not looking forward to all these Friday check ins and the time it's going to take. Yikes. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
99 of 129

Sarah L wrote:

I did a quick search and found this. It was turned on for me today. I tried not to be offended, but I had clearly stated just a moment before, as I always do, that I check in every few days. I have multiple jobs going on right now, at least 6 I can think of, if EVERY PERSON turned this on, I'd spend ages each Friday filling out the darn thing, instead of my usual, Hey, just checking in. I'm at such and such point. If you've got any questions, let me know. I'm not looking forward to all these Friday check ins and the time it's going to take. Yikes. 


So ... nine pages of a resounding NO, with issues/problems such as Sarah just pointed out, as well as input from some of your best and brightest ... and it's a done deal?

 

Upwork, why do you have pop-ups asking us what we think, when you've proven many times over that you don't actually care about our opinions. I hope, just this once ... that with this auto check-in thing you give some consideration to the feedback you've received in this forum. As Rene pointed out a few pages back ... you are not dealing with the reasons why something like this is  needed. Upwork, it's time to purge again.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
100 of 129

Virginia F wrote:

Upwork, why do you have pop-ups asking us what we think, when you've proven many times over that you don't actually care about our opinions. I hope, just this once ... that with this auto check-in thing you give some consideration to the feedback you've received in this forum. As Rene pointed out a few pages back ... you are not dealing with the reasons why something like this is  needed. Upwork, it's time to purge again.


Stop admitting any "freelancer" who can fog a mirror. Institute some meaningful screening mechanisms to ensure new freelancers possess not only marketable skill sets but also minimal levels of common sense, business acumen and enough personal initiative to educate and orient themselves to the platform before they plunge in and create havoc and grief for themselves and their clients. Do this, and you won't need to worry about installing structural handholding and other such protocols because your lowest common denominator will pass minimal muster. At the same time, I promise you'll reduce the overall proportion of accounts that earn the least (if anything) while consuming the most CS resources (either directly by demanding constant handholding or indirectly by creating problems for clients which you then have to address). And, of course, there will be less need to erect this kind of hurdle that has a real obstructive impact on the FLs who are actually earning money for themselves and for UW.

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS