Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "Auto Check-ins"?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
61 of 129

Phyliis wins the internet for Upwork is becomming more and more the "Keystone Kops of freelance platforms"

If a client tried this nonsense with me ... fired. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Valerie S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
62 of 129

This one...has worn me down. I don't get it Upwork. What on earth are you thinking? Or are you? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
63 of 129

Rafsun S wrote:

Sequence 01.Still001.jpg

It's obvious that most of us have no need or desire for this kind of thing and for many of us, it's insulting. However, there is a swath of freelancer who really don't understand "business" and how "communication" works. Personally, I drop Upwork like a hot potatoe as soon as I am hired.

Pity the client who has to drop in and deal with financials. Everything we do together is done either in another tool or in meetings. In fact, I have a meeting once a week where we actually go over a small list a bit like this, because it's a great thing to do. But to be "reminded" this should be done? <scoffs>.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
64 of 129

This is just SO AWKWARD.  I have a client who enacted it for a short term job (all my jobs are short term jobs). I should mention.. she is brand new to Upwork so probably had no idea what she did when she enacted it.  So i got the automated message today to answer these questions but we were in the final editing stages of the job. I didn't know what to do with it - luckily, the automated message showed up in the middle of the night. I saw it but the client shared her feedback on the project shortly after it was posted so she was the first one chatting in the messages after that intrusive message showed up. She didn't even acknowledge the automated message so I was able to just respond to her (and also ignore it) but wow... it's just wrong on so many levels. It didn't apply at all to the stage we were in for this job. She knew exactly what I was working on - it was "her turn" to respond to me and there is no "next week" for this job so what I would even say to respond to this?

PLEASE JUST STOP.  Upwork's purpose is to connect clients and freelancers - not to intrude on the progress of the job. If a client wants to know where the project stands, the client can ask that him/herself.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
65 of 129

Jessica S wrote:

PLEASE JUST STOP.  Upwork's purpose is to connect clients and freelancers - not to intrude on the progress of the job. If a client wants to know where the project stands, the client can ask that him/herself.  

THIS 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
66 of 129

Jessica S wrote:

I'm also going to quote this, because it bears repeating.

People become freelancers because they want to have autonomy and run their own businesses. (And if they don't, they shouldn't be here.) I find it extraordinary that anyone would have to be told something so basic as "you should communicate with your client", or that any client would be incapable of sending a message saying, "hey, any updates on your progress?" This is an embarrassing degree of handholding. Upwork shouldn't have to serve as a training ground or prop up anyone who's incapable of dealing with other adults in a professional manner. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
67 of 129

Hi Upwork, it's time to check in on this project. Please take a moment to answer these questions:

• What did YOU work on this week?
  • What will YOU work on next week?
  • What might delay YOUR planned work?

This is so completely, utterly, outrageously offensive. I thought one had to be 18 to work on or with Upwork. Why are there no adults in the room?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
68 of 129

JUST THIS!

Jessica S wrote:

"PLEASE JUST STOP. Upwork's purpose is to connect clients and freelancers - not to intrude on the progress of the job. If a client wants to know where the project stands, the client can ask that him/herself."

Upwork, if we repeat this enough times will it sink in?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Catherine M Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
69 of 129

If a client doesn't trust me enough to do my job and manage my time appropriately, he/she should not hire me. I refuse to deal with any client that feels the need to micromanage me in this capacity. It's one thing to utilize project management tools. It's another to ask such asinine questions. I run a business. I am not an employee of these clients. They can save those questions for employee evaluations. I have NEVER seen a client ask an independent contractor/consultant/freelancer these questions in all of my years on (and off) Upwork. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
70 of 129

1,. Are these the only potential questions included or are others possible? If so, what are they?

2. What are the expectations regarding how soon the questions must be answered? Are there penalties for not responding within a specific time, including at weekends?

3. How often are these questions sent?

4. What effect does not answering these questions have?

5. What would be regarded as an 'insufficient' answer and what effect would it have?

6. Do responses, lack of responses or quality of responses to these questions play a role in resolving a dispute or in arbitration? If so what role and weighting do they have?

7. The wording of the questions implies that information is demanded about work the freelancer is undertaking that is separate to the project. What is the outcome if the questions are interpreted in that way and the freelancer refuses or is unable to answer them?

8. How do we know whether these questions are turned on by the client before finalising contract terms as they presumably form part of the contract?

9. Where in the documentation are these details and anything else relevant given?

10. What are the facilities for freelancers to enact a similar process for clients should they wish to do so?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS