cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "freelancer type"?

Ahmed A Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
1 of 6

Ok so this is a bit strange. I was looking at a job posting and one of the requirements was

"Freelancer type: Freelancers only" (image below)

BUT, the icon indicated that I do not qualify for this. Not sure what this means? any help?

Thanks in advance.issue.jpg

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 6

Ahmed, what you are looking in "freelance type" is very simple.

It identifies one of three options that clients specified when they posted their job entry:

They want to hire:

a) only independent individual contractors

b) only agencies

c) either one is fine

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 6

What Preston said, plus, specifically, this client, like so many others, only wants to work with individual freelancers and not freelancers who are connected to an agency. When it says "Freelancers only" the client specifically does not want someone who is linked to an agency.

This is what it looks like from the client's end when they set up the requirements:  http://prntscr.com/85901v s

@Preston H wrote:

Ahmed, what you are looking in "freelance type" is very simple.

It identifies one of three options that clients specified when they posted their job entry:

They want to hire:

a) only independent individual contractors

b) only agencies

c) either one is fine

Ahmed A Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
4 of 6

Thanks for the explanation. But strange thing is, I don't think I ever joined an agency. I did create a company just for the heck of it. Maybe it's cause of this? Any guidelines how to remove this?

Thanks in advance.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 6

re: "But strange thing is, I don't think I ever joined an agency. I did create a company just for the heck of it."

Yes, this is the problem.

You show up as an agency freelancer, which is something that many clients SPECIFICALLY AVOID.

The other contractors who compete with you on Upwork ARE GLAD THAT YOU CREATED A COMPANY. It means that they are being hired for jobs you apply for.

If you want to get more jobs on Upwork, you need to get rid of the company/agency that you aren't using, but which penalizes you in getting hired.

(If you plan to bid on any of the jobs that I bid on, then please do not change anything. Because right now you are at a distinct disadvantage, and that is fine with me.)

For the record, Petra offered detailed advice for how to get rid of the company you're attached to. Look here.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
6 of 6

Freelancer Type is like Gangnam Style, except with less Korean pop and more issues with Upwork's messaging system.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS