cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is stopping you from doing your job?

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
1 of 27

We all went through this at different times in our lives. You have work to do, you stare at your computer screen for too long and never do anything. 

You know you got the skills to finish that job amazingly, yet you feel something is stopping you from diving in.

I've seen a nice quote recently shared on Facebook by Upwork which said: "Start. The rest is easy". 

I liked that quote, the only problem is I can't start. I stare on my screen for hours, and then when I begin work I finish any job so quickly (rush jobs in a couple of hours). 

I am only hoping there is an advice to stay focused and start working on things immediately instead of wasting 3-4 hours of my day in front of my computer not doing anything. I can use that time to either get out, relax or simply finish other jobs which means more money.

Don't get me wrong I am very productive. I never miss a deadline and I work really fast. But this habit started like 2 years ago and I lose valuable time everyday and I don't know how  toget rid of it. Please advise... 

Thanks a bunch. 

Best regards, 

Wassim

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
BEST ANSWER
2 of 27

Wassim,

I schedule my day to do work in blocks and give myself regular breaks, I even go for a walk after lunch every day. I give my time to play a game on facebook or talk to a friend. But everything in my day is scheduled down to the time I go to bed .... 

I work more productively when blocks of time are set aside in a schedule.

The biggest thing I do is have a time I stop daily and don't work after that and I take weekends to myself.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Leader
Scott E Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
3 of 27

"...instead of wasting 3-4 hours of my day in front of my computer not doing anything."

You're doing better than me, I'm wasting 6 to 8 hours a day in front of my computer doing nothing. Every day I bookmark something I want to submit a proposal on and then tell my self that I'll stick in a proposal tomorrow. Tomorrow never comes. I spend half my time deleting closed or awarded projects from my watch list. 

I watch films and TV shows and cook burgers and steaks and fish and drink overwhelming amounts of wine when I should be working. 

Don't get me wrong, like you, when I have a client who has a deadline... I make sure I meet that deadline, but I think I subconsciously avoid getting new work so I don't have to meet that deadline in the first place, and can lounge around doing not much of anything.

We're trailblazers you and me Wassim.... we're shaping the future of procrastination, one day at a time. We should be proud of ourselves. Right, I'm off to see what I've got to drink and whip up some burgers. Hold all my calls.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 27

I'm exactly the same. I pride myself on working to deadlines and never missing them; but the truth is that if there isn't a deadline I just put it off and off and off. The forum, of course, is a great distraction. I usually end up finishing any workI have to finish into the small hours - when I've no choice but to just do it.

The answer...I need to get more organised and structured. OK, I've said it - so I don't see much point in me paying E150 or so to go on a course to tell me that....

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
N T Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
5 of 27

Procrastinators of the world, UNITE!

...Tomorrow!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 27

Pretty much I'm just lazy and prefer forums and trolling the SEOs.

And wine....

Lots of wine

And pizza

My dog is probably much more interesting than work cuz she's herp derp dumb.

Everything in nature moves towards the path that takes the least amount of energy. Being lazy is natural.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Beth T Member Since: Jan 18, 2015
7 of 27

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but when I have less work, as is the case now, I am far more likely to procrastinate. If I know I have a full schedule, I have no choice but to plow through it. And I like that. I have enough connects to apply for, what one job a day on average? And not many invitations anymore. After that, if I only have a laid-back client or two on my schedule, there isn't much reason to finish quickly.

Still, the one bad habit I have is staying in front of the computer, when I should be getting some fresh air or at least giving my eyes a break. I'm working on it, though. Trying to go to bed earlier and all of those self-care things.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 27

I have to eat ambien to sleep. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
9 of 27

"I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but when I have less work, as is the case now, I am far more likely to procrastinate."

In the Army we always reckoned that if you wanted to get something done, give it to someone who was already busy.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 27

@fergus M wrote:

"I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but when I have less work, as is the case now, I am far more likely to procrastinate."

In the Army we always reckoned that if you wanted to get something done, give it to someone who was already busy.

This is an awesome theory. I shall use this one day. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS