cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is stopping you from doing your job?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
11 of 27

10806276_565226263621005_7576836896085842226_n.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
12 of 27

After reading all your replies, it seems everyone is having the same problem I have except Suzanne.

All lazy people out there let's celebrate. Jennifer will enjoy this: Pizza on me for everyone.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 27

Lazy party people in da house!

Suzanne lives on a farm and can take us in when we go broke. I'll even be nice to her cats.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
14 of 27

Great idea Jennifer! Let's all go live with Suzanne. We can work the farm for room and board.

Ron aka LanWanMan
Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 27

@Ronald T wrote:

Great idea Jennifer! Let's all go live with Suzanne. We can work the farm for room and board.

That is the problem Ron all of them state they don't want to work ...

I had the best laugh here folks...Farm = work

The only place I would to have to put someone up as my house is very small is the barn and think the horses and goats might object Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
Community Guru
Beth T Member Since: Jan 18, 2015
16 of 27

The only place I would to have to put someone up as my house is very small is the barn and think the horses and goats might object Smiley Tongue

No worries, with all that humanpower, we'll just build a commune on some nearby land.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Patrick P Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
17 of 27

Same as everyone else here. Have insomnia problems to begin with, so it doesn't help that I know I can put off work until 2 or 3 AM sometimes and still meet a morning deadline. Regularly murder myself by packing too many deadlines close together and then putting them all off until the big looming doom cloud appears just east of Wednesday. Still meet the deadlines, but I'm liable to coma-sleep like nothing else after.

Just this Thursday, for instance, I went to bed at 11:30 and asked my fiancee not to bother waking me up at my usual time. Woke up a few minutes shy of 14 hours later. Healthy stuff.

Luckily, I seem to at least have days where I'm motivated enough to churn out cover letter after cover letter after cover letter, so the issue's more of a project to project problem.

Pro-Tip: If you're on wireless and can do your work without an internet connection, just unplug it, for God's sake. Or use Cold Turkey. I do both (though it's the actual unplugging/turning on of the software that's the problem).

Favorite distractions: endless crosswords (NYT, Fireball, AV Club, and if you know those last two, you're probably incurable), HBO shows and Netflix docs (on a mean Ken Burns kick right now), Lego and hockey blogs (you know, because I'm a grown-up), and all the coffee, beer, bourbon, ribs, brisket, burgers, butter chicken, pizza, and fresh fruit a man can eat without throwing up everywhere.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Beth T Member Since: Jan 18, 2015
18 of 27

The direct answer to "What is stopping you from doing your job?" is "I have no job to do." LOL

@Jennifer, I'm right there with you at the medicine cabinet! Ayurveda says to go to bed before 10 p.m.--haha WHAT?!

@Fergus, would love to be back on the list of busy people.

So today, I took 3 more Upwork skills tests (I think that makes 44 so far). I studied five foreign languages on Duolingo. And I actually took the step of setting up shop on a different freelancing site. Although once I saw what other people are charging for translation services (nothing), I'm not sure I'll get any hits there. I also worked on one of my $3-an-hour fixed-price jobs today. I really am trying!

Cats... Pizza... The company of kindred spirits... Working with animals on a farm... Sounds wonderful.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
19 of 27

You probably don't enjoy other activities and your brain got bored. Go out for walk, or something.

20 of 27

@Vesna M wrote:

You probably don't enjoy other activities and your brain got bored. Go out for walk, or something.

Vesna,

A brisk walk is always stimulating. I have one most days after my lunch otherwise I get lethargic and want to nap. But a walk after lunch I am ready to focus on my work again.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS