🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What is the average rate to proofread 100,000...
Page options
prabeshparajuli
Community Member

What is the average rate to proofread 100,000 words document?

Dear Upwork,
I am little confused in fixing the budget for proofreading task of 100,000 words document. What would be the best average payment rate for the proofreading of 100,000 words?
Please let me know the lowest rate that would be fit for 100,000 words proofreading and the average rate as well.
I need to deal with my client.
Kindly let me know.

Please help me !!
Thanks
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No one can tell you it's ok but you. To me, it's incredibly low.

Assuming you keep the same speed, the 100,000 words will take you 113 hours. So you just offered a rate of about $2.30 per hour.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
wescowley
Community Member

That's impossible to answer without knowing more. First, you need to know what the client means by proofreading. Very often that means heavy copyediting, which is a lot more work.

Your best bet is to get the document and edit a small piece of it to see how long it takes and how !uch work is involved. Then use that with your hourly rate to come up with your quote.

I have completed one file proofreading as a sample and it took me around 6 hours to proofread 5300 words file. There are total 13 files with total 100,000 words.
The client wants to work in a fixed contract not hourly contract.
I told him to proofread the 100,000 words document at $260. Is it okay? Or should I increase the amount?

No one can tell you it's ok but you. To me, it's incredibly low.

Assuming you keep the same speed, the 100,000 words will take you 113 hours. So you just offered a rate of about $2.30 per hour.

Presumably this is proofreading in your native language rather than English?

It really depends on how good the material is. If the material is excellent it takes a lot less time to proofread than if the material is poor. Have you reciewed the material?

Hello,
The proofreading is for the Nepali document and I have reviewed the documents. There are plenty of errors and the quality is poor.

I will try to increase some payment with the client.
Thanks for the solution !!

I usually ask for an hourly rate when proofreading. It's just too difficult to gauge the scope of work to put a fixed price on it. 

Prabesh P wrote:
Hello,
The proofreading is for the Nepali document and I have reviewed the documents. There are plenty of errors and the quality is poor.

I will try to increase some payment with the client.
Thanks for the solution !!

Don't do that. You gave your client a quote, and he relies on that information. You can't go back and say, hey, I had no idea what to charge, so I went to the forum to ask, and now I think I need more money. That is not what a professional does. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members