cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to become "Rising Talent" certified?

bmmiles
Active

I am looking to really further myself on Upwork and in my freelancing abilities. I have a 100% completed profiled with 5 stars. What do you consider the best way to become rising talent certified? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
screeler
Community Guru

I wouldn't worry about being Rising Talent because it won't last long anyway. Why? Because once you get enough jobs under your belt, you become like everyone else and then the next badge you'll see on your profile is Top Rated. 

You can check out the support page to start: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063228-Become-a-Rising-Talent

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
screeler
Community Guru

I wouldn't worry about being Rising Talent because it won't last long anyway. Why? Because once you get enough jobs under your belt, you become like everyone else and then the next badge you'll see on your profile is Top Rated. 

You can check out the support page to start: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063228-Become-a-Rising-Talent

Thanks for the accepted solution! 

Where's my manners? I'll blame lack of sleep and I'm stickin to that story. lol. 

I forgot to tell you that you have to maintain (I think) 90% Job score and up to continue being top rated. It's a roller coaster ride sometimes and you might dip under but don't ever let that get to you. Do awesome work all the time and that speaks for itself. I've been under 90% more than a few times. After the first two shocks of being stripped of my top rated status I've decided not to get all 'the sky is falling' about it. 

Hope you enjoy your time here and make tons of moolah! 

Yesterday I was designated as "Rising Talent" ! Hurrah! For one day!  Ahhhh... The sunshine, roses, glory... Puppies were sure to follow... I even believe that one invitation that I received, to discuss a translation job, may have resulted in part from the "Rising Talent" designation.

Then, this morning, the "Rising Talent" designation had vanished.

Mystifying.

What did I do between yesterday and today? Did I complete any jobs? No. Did I enter into any contracts? No. Did any new feedback appear? No. Did I insult anyone of note? No. Did I do anything Upwork-related besides send in some proposals? Well, yes, Yes, I did take a few tests and did improve my scores on a couple of them.

My logical conclusion? I still do not know how one is selected as "Rising Talent," but if you want to lose the designation, try improving your test scores. Might have been what did it for me; might work for you, too.

>grin< I am as mystified with the JS score...I've 2 jobs completed succsesgully, and one is a long term agreement. Still there's no sign of a JS score..(and yes my profile is complete including some courses) but the freelancer just above me on the page had 0 jobs but 82% JS score...I'm just shaking my head and disregard it...;-)

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "

Hi Janean,

It is strange indeed if the badge showed yesterday but doesn't show today. Let me check with the team about that.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Dear, I have good contracts and good reviews, but still, dont have rising talent badge. can you help me please

https://www.upwork.com/fl/harotioun

Hi Janean,

I got a confirmation from the team that the Rising Talent status among other things depends on freelancer's performance on contracts they complete. Unfortunately, the outcome of one of your recent contracts wasn't good according to the client's feedback and that's why the badge was removed.

~ Valeria
Upwork

This is all very odd, because AFTER I posted the above (about the Rising Talent badge being removed), I then received a notice that I was being welcomed into the Rising Talent program, within 24 hours. Then (again, no new contracts, no jobs completed between that notice and now), in an e-mail time-stamped 12:36 p.m. today, I received a notice that I was no longer eligible for the program. (No specific explanation was offered.)

All of the feedback that shows on my "stats" is 5-star (with one 4.85-star exception). The only recent job that I have completed without any feedback (yet) is for a client whom I had reported to CS as a likely scammer, and who was trying to get free work out of me. If CS would check the history of that client, and the history of how that job came about, any possible "secret" bad feedback should stand out as punitive. (A check of the work that I did will show that not only was the product excellent, but that I promised ten edited pages and delivered eleven, and delivered the work well before deadline--during a holiday weekend!)

So, here is how my "Rising Talent" has happened and then has disappeared, from my point of view:

(1) Worked 8 jobs. 5-star feedback (with one 4.85-star feedback). Many test scores "1st Place" and "Top 10%."

(2) Finally awarded "Rising Talent" Badge, but with no formal notice from Upwork--badge just appeared one day on my profile.

(3) No new contracts entered into; no jobs closed; no new feedback appeared during the 24 hours after the Rising Talent badge appeared.

(4) Test scores actually improved duirng the short period of time that I had the "Rising Talent" badge.

(5) "Rising Talent" badge disappeared, but with no formal notice from Upwork.The designation just disappeared from my Upwork profile, about one day after it had shown up, and just as mysteriously as it had appeared.

(6) Wednesday afternoon, 7/13/16: e-mail from Upwork, telling me that I am eligible for "Rising Talent" program, and that this will take effect within 24 hours.

(7) No new contracts entered into. No new feedback. No jobs completed.

(8) Thursday just after noontime, 7/14/16: e-mail from Upwork, telling me that I am no longer eligible for "Rising Talent" program. No specific explanation offered.

(9) Message from Upwork Moderator Valeria (here) explaining that one of my jobs has ended badly, and that this is the reason I was removed from the Rising Talent program. (Although this does not explain why I was re-invited to join on 7/13, and then re-removed on 7/14.)

Whatevsies.

Thanks for the response, at least, Valeria. It doesn't really clear things up, but at least it's some kind of data point.

Good day

I had reached a 100% in my portfolio today, and my profile is now As needed open to offers, i wanted to ask how can I obtaine a rising talent badge? 

What do I need to do?

Hi Tomislav,

Thanks for completing your profile. Make sure you apply for jobs within your skill set and deliver great results on jobs you get in order to qualify for the Rising Talent program. Please, check out this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria --

While I appreciate your taking the time to respond at all to my earlier post, I would emphasize the following, some of which is repetitive of a previous post of mine, but which is relevant to a larger point I would like to bring up here:

Between the time I received the "Rising Talent" designation and the time the designation disappeared, I did not enter into any Upwork contracts, I did not complete any jobs, and I did not see any new feedback. My mystification regarding the designation--and, particularly, my mystification regarding its revocation--is genuine. As far as I can tell, my clients are happy with my work. The feedback that I am seeing is glowing. The messages I read are happy. Several clients have spoken with me about future work to be done. Payents have been authorized quickly. So when I say that I am "mystified," I am NOT being cutesie or disingenuous. I am not secretly aware of bad feedback, nor secretly aware that I have displeased a client, and that such poor work or poor client relations on my part is/are the true likely culprit in this business of my losing the "Rising Talent" badge. I am not being coy. I am genuinely puzzled.

You and "the team" are obviously privy to information that I DO NOT HAVE. And, because my public feedback and my private conversations with clients have been good, I have had no way to guess at the behind-the-scenes information that you have, and that you exposed in your own post above. (Except that I might guess that the probable-scammer client I have is unhappy that I backed him into a corner and forced him to pay for work that he was hoping to get for free. But even then, Upwork should not take into account any secret feedback from a client whose job has been on the CS radar.) Therefore, I must say that in this case it is not really "fair game" for you to "call me out" on the following (and I quote from your post above):

"Unfortunately, the outcome of one of your recent contracts wasn't good according to the client's feedback..." (Valeria)

You could have sent me that information in a private e-mail. You could have chosen to post, here in the forum, something to the effect of: "Please refer to information we have sent you privately," as Moderators do in many other cases. Instead, you chose to more or less publicly shame or humiliate me on the grounds of (1) supposedly poor work product; and (2) possibly an intent to obfuscate/mislead others about the REAL reason behind my loss of the Rising Talent designation, as you leave open the possibility that I knew very well that some client had been disappointed in my work. (I did not know of any client's unhappiness--as anyone seeing my feedback and reading my messages will immediately realize.)

Customer Support is not (was not) willing to tell me, in its private e-mail to me of earlier today, the specific reason that they are "sorry to inform [me] that [I] no longer qualify as a Rising Talent freelancer on Upwork." (quote from private e-mail message) They simply listed the general qualities required to maintain the Rising Talent Status. Even now, I am left to wonder which specific  job outcome "wasn't good." But you are willing (believe it to be appropriate) to tell any of thousands of casual browsers of this forum that I have done an unsatisfactory job for a client. In fact, you have decided that while Upwork will not include that specific fact in a private e-mail to me, you will post it publicly in this forum. Presumably to prove that Upwork's designation of "Rising Talent" is not a capricious one? To show that I am in the wrong in believing that the designation is mysterious? (Yet, how could I believe otherwise? You and "the team" have information that I lack. To me, as well as to others, the designation is mysterious. It makes me think of the little green guys in the glass-plated toy machine in "Toy Story," waiting to be "chosen." They look upward and recite, with wondering voices: "The Claw... The Claw..." The "Claw" is a deity to them.)

Several days ago, a post I made was edited for my use of perfectly legitimate English words (neither vulgar nor profane) to describe an unknown client (not named, not known) who was clearly scamming a newbie. You removed my words. Yet, here, you post for any and all to read, with respect to me, specifically, the explanation for why I shouldn't be so questioning about (I hesitate to say "uppity about," but the phrase does come to mind) the  machinations of "Rising Talent." You explain to everyone who cares to read this (and you use this forum as a vehicle to explain this to me for the first time!) that "the outcome of one [my]  recent contracts wasn't good according to the client's feedback."

Thank you for your time. But I wonder about what you hoped to accomplish. If you hoped to defend Upwork's choices by means of putting me in my place--well, it sorta worked. I am somewhat humbled. But I respectfully question the appropriateness of the posting.

Janean,

I am sorry you feel like my post was intended to call you out or share any information that's private. It was definitely not my intention. I simply wanted to clarify the situation better. My statement about the outcome of one of your recent contracts being the reason for the removal of your Rising Talent bage was based on the information that's publicly available on your profile's Work History.

Once again, I apologize if my post offended you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Quote: "My statement about the outcome of one of your recent contracts being the reason for the removal of your Rising Talent bage was based on the information that's publicly available on your profile's Work History." End Quote

Valeria -- This is simply not true.

@Valeria K wrote:

Janean,

I am sorry you feel like my post was intended to call you out or share any information that's private. It was definitely not my intention. I simply wanted to clarify the situation better. My statement about the outcome of one of your recent contracts being the reason for the removal of your Rising Talent bage was based on the information that's publicly available on your profile's Work History.

Once again, I apologize if my post offended you.

There is nothing, that I can see, on her public profile that would warrant removal from the Rising Talent program. Is it the 4.85? That's an "alarming" score? You are saying that freelancers must achieve 100% perfection in every contract that even a 4.85 is considered bad?!  Isn't that what all the freelancers complain about and all the mods say isn't true? How in the world does a 4.85 raise a flag to pull someone from Rising Talent? 

Its that or it's private feedback (which would make more sense) but you said the info was publicly available on her profile so now do you confirm that the MASSIVE stress to achieve 5.0 on every single job, when it's a fact that people can't please every client, is validated by your statement above? 

Thank you for your response. I'm looking forward to Increasing my work load to fully meet my abilities.

Regards,

Lauren

@Lauren W wrote:
Thank you for your response. I'm looking forward to Increasing my work load to fully meet my abilities.

Regards,

Lauren

I'm interested in hearing about your social media management and SEO at ATT in 2004. I worked there until 2001, so this is relevant to my interests.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS