🐈 Community
muganwas

What is the best way to deal with clients that hold pay for ransom?

I've had a couple of clients lately that constantly change terms in a "polite" way with a promise of payment immediately after the new terms are met. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Steven M wrote:

He only resurfaced after I'd reversed all the changes I'd made to his website. If he was smarter he would have just deleted or deactivated my logins after he got what he wanted.

Why on earth would you do such a thing? You could have just waited until the milestone auto-released after 14 days. Clients have 14 days to review work. At that point the funds are released automatically to the freelancer.

I can only stress once again that sabotaging a client's website is an incredibly risky (and in this case unneccessary) thing to do. That client will quite rightly give you poor feedback, and had he reported you to Upwork you would have been in seriously deep trouble, to the point of losing your account.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter

Clients can not just change terms. That is not allowed, and they can only get away with it if you allow them to do it. A "promise of payment" is worth nothing. Tell the clients that you will be happy to work on the new tasks they want done, as soon as they release full payment for the current contract, close the current contract and set up a new, hourly contact. Explain that using an hourly contract for now on will help them because they can ask for anything they want, without needing to worry about whether it is written in a specific contract.

Thank you Preston for the advice, only problem is after the client already has what he/she wants they have the upper hand. For example I recently completed tasks in a milestone and when I submitted a payment request, the client asked me to do a couple of more things(I'd already done some extra stuff), I told the client that it would not be possible and clearly told him if he wanted anything more done, he'd have to create a new milestone or hire me a fresh for the new tasks. He gave me a thumbs up and went silent for days, without releasing my payment. He only resurfaced after I'd reversed all the changes I'd made to his website. If he was smarter he would have just deleted or deactivated my logins after he got what he wanted.

@Steven M wrote:

He only resurfaced after I'd reversed all the changes I'd made to his website. If he was smarter he would have just deleted or deactivated my logins after he got what he wanted.

Why on earth would you do such a thing? You could have just waited until the milestone auto-released after 14 days. Clients have 14 days to review work. At that point the funds are released automatically to the freelancer.

I can only stress once again that sabotaging a client's website is an incredibly risky (and in this case unneccessary) thing to do. That client will quite rightly give you poor feedback, and had he reported you to Upwork you would have been in seriously deep trouble, to the point of losing your account.

I wish someone had told me this sooner, I didn't know that the payment get released after 14days. Although I wouldn't say that I subotaged the clients website, I don't think me reversing work I had done and not received payment for would be termed as subotage. Although now I'm worried I might have ruined my relationship with the client for not good reason 😞 Thank you Petra.

@Steven M wrote:

I wish someone had told me this sooner, I didn't know. Now I'm worried I might have ruined my relationship with the client for not good reason 😞 Thank you Petra.

You likely have. You'll see just how badly when it comes to feedback time. You're lucky the client didn't report you and you haven't had your account suspended for this stunt.

You need to educate yourself on how things work before you land yourself in terribly hot water one of these days.

There is never a "good reason to ruin the relationship with a client."

I should definitely read more on how things work. Although you sound more pissed off/concerned than me or the client.

Hi Steven,

I'm sorry to hear of what happened. Preston and Petra have given you helpful advice. Please know more about the process to ensure that you are following the right steps. You can learn more by visiting the help center and search for help articles for additional information for any questions that you may have. You are also welcome to post your questions here in the community and we would be happy to assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork