cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the point of additional questions when applying to a job?

Highlighted
Dorina L Member Since: Feb 14, 2014
1 of 12
Hello, I work with Odesk for about 6 months and I still do not see the importance of additional questions when applying to a job. What I see is that this questions hold me to apply quicker. Also, why the client is allowed to ask questions but me, as a freelancer, have no such possibility through a message board or something like this? It often happens that a job description is not clear enough, or there are no attachments and I am able to ask questions only if I am invited to interview. Maybe someone can help with this, thanks!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 12
Hi Dorina, I don't think that the additional questions are a complete waste of time if clients ask the right questions. I don't like it when clients ask irrelevant questions or just use the pre-written template questions for the sake of it. I do agree that freelancers should be able to ask questions about the role before an active interview, I would find this useful. As you say, some of the ads are not clear enough and too vague, so it makes it difficult to know whether or not it's worthwhile applying.
Highlighted
3 of 12
True, sometimes (most of the time Smiley Happy) the additional questions are irrelevant but this is because they are already generated by Odesk. I would see useful, maybe, one box where the client can ask something like ("When can you deliver the work?" ) but not several questions. I speak as a freelancer, not as a company, and to be honest, I do loose time when I have to answer to three or more questions when applying. Though, I may saved my answers somewhere, I still have to go and copy then paste then apply. My opinion is that this questions are too many, they are not targeted on the posted job and I wouldn't miss them if they weren't there Smiley Happy And, yes, I would like a message board, where freelancers can ask questions strictly about the job (no self promotion involved), it will help a lot.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
4 of 12
I do understand what you're saying about the pre-generated questions created by oDesk. These templates are there to assist the client, but the client still has to use common sense and choose ones which are relevant to the post. Templates are a good thing if used properly. A client asking about the delivery of work is a good thing if you're hiring someone to build you a website, for example. I don't have a problem answering the additional questions, it's just that sometimes I have to repeat what I've already written in my cover letter because the questions are ridiculous and even impossible to answer. I don't like when clients ask 'Which part of the project will take the most time?' For the line of work I'm in, this question doesn't usually make sense. I usually end up saying ' this question is difficult to answer without actually starting the project'. I don't want clients to think that I'm being rude or sarcastic, but how else I am supposed to answer that?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 12
Job ... proofreader and editor needed. Why do you think you are a good fit for this job? Because I am a proofreader and editor What part of the job do you think will take the most time? The proofreading and editing etc., etc.
Highlighted
6 of 12
Gillian, you gave me an idea, maybe it is better to ask the clients what they think about the additional questions, if they really are helpful for them or not because I know, now, I am not the only one who thinks that for freelancers are not always useful.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
7 of 12

@Dorina L wrote:
Also, why the client is allowed to ask questions but me, as a freelancer, have no such possibility through a message board or something like this? It often happens that a job description is not clear enough, or there are no attachments and I am able to ask questions only if I am invited to interview. Maybe someone can help with this, thanks!

I do not agree that we freelancers cannot possibly raise questions prior to being hired, Dorina.  The cover letter is an avenue for us to raise questions about the ad.  I think that it is one way to arrive at an original cover letter which expresses our keen interest in the position that we are applying for.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
8 of 12

Sometimes they are pointless; especially when you find questions like “Do you have suggestions to make this project run successfully?”  After a one-line job description. Probably some clients use them just because the option is there.

But in other cases they can help to highlight one specific skill. They are a good  tool for some clients.

Highlighted
Nazir H Member Since: Nov 28, 2015
9 of 12

I have been working on projects like yours for the past so many years. To get to know more about it you can simply peep into my portfolio. You can also have a look at my profile to see my employment history that will give you a fair idea about the projects I’ve worked on in the past.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
10 of 12

These generic questions are insulting for anyone with 30 years experience like myself. It discourages clients from actually contacting a freelancer. They can just simply decline, decline, decline with the touch of a button. 

The process is like a cattle call... like an employment agency. Ugh. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS