Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

What is this? Business Insider: How I made 5,000 USD in a week

I came across a new article (19.08.) on Business Insider where the author Alicia Glenn explained how she made 5,000 USD in a week by online freelancing. One of her hacks is to rent an Upwork page of a successful freelancer. For me this is fraud. I would like to hear a comment of an UW moderator on this. Here is the article:

http://www.businessinsider.de/how-i-made-5000-in-a-week-freelancing-online-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

Or is this an idea from UW to promote agencies? Moreover, I doubt that any freelancer is able to earn 5,000 USD on UW per week.

7 REPLIES 7
colettelewis

I'm not so sure about it being fraud exactly, but I doubt if the 10% commission is allowed, unless it is paid through Upwork?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Nichola L wrote:

I'm not so sure about it being fraud exactly, but I doubt if the 10% commission is allowed, unless it is paid through Upwork?

I am sure this is not acceptable, at least from a fiscal point of view. Can I found an agency and present any dubious person to my clients who trust me and tell them: Hey, I have a good friend who is very trustable, please buy his services? According to her freelancer profile AC has earned 400 USD so far... Probably, she earned the rest of 4,600 USD per week elsewhere.

garnorm

Your instinct is right Margarete. This is not behavior we encourage and could violate policy, (we're having our team review and reach out to the author if possible). In the meantime, others should know this activity is not recommended (i.e. renting a friend's profile as a way to get in front of potential clients).

iaabraham

Their whole arrangement reeks. I wouldn't consider either if I were a client.

If this is not a policy violation, it should be.

**Jeez, just saw this part of the article:

"If you feel uncomfortable asking your client to award the job to your page, you can work through your friend's page."

She needs a serious reality check.

claudiacezy

Is she hasn't accessed her friend's account what is sooo wrong?

It sounds twisted here on Upwork but think of LinkedIn introducing connections option. The friend introduced her to a client and she was hired directly on Upwork.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Claudia Z wrote:

Is she hasn't accessed her friend's account what is sooo wrong?

It sounds twisted here on Upwork but think of LinkedIn introducing connections option. The friend introduced her to a client and she was hired directly on Upwork.

It completely undermines Upwork's TOS and efforts that freelancers have to prove their abilities. Next step: you pay somebody to recommend you. I sometimes also recommend other freelancers on and outside of Upwork but that has nothing to do with my profile here. And: I am sure that this 5,000 USD contract shown in her article will never be paid. Offer made by: no name and nothing paid yet. Maybe these guys are just kidding, their YouTube video is placed in the category "comedy"...

Why is anybody wondering about this?

If a contractor uses someone else's account, it is a violation of Upwork's most important policy, and it is grounds for immediate permanent termination and banishment from Upwork.