cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is worse, ending a contract without pay or receiving low feedback?

Ace Contributor
Linda B Member Since: Oct 13, 2015
1 of 7

Hypothetically speaking you have a nightmare client.

They request revision multiple times even though you did the work to the exact specifications of their very detailed, multiple page rules.

What is better for your overall job success score/profile.

1. Asking them to end the contract without pay if they need further revisions.

or 

2. Doing revisions until they are happy and taking the low feedback you assume they will give.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

This is an excellent question.

My short answer to your question is:

In most cases, you should choose option 1. Because your time is too valuable to play games by doing option 2.

Few things on Upwork are worse than dealing with a nightmare client with a fixed-price contract... a client who doesn't understand what a fixed-price contract really means.

YOU need to take charge. Simply don't play that game.

"Frank,

Thank you for your note. I apologize if there was any confusion about the nature of the contract. When I finished the task we discussed, and submitted it to you, I did so because it was finished.

If this is something that will work for you, then you are welcome to pay the agreed-upon amount and use the file. Otherwise, your client-side interface allows you to pay zero, in which case ownership of the work that was done will remain with me, and you would not be able to use it because it has not been paid for. The decision about whether to accept or not accept the work is entirely up to you. I won't take it personally, either way.

If you are interested in working with me on additional tasks or features that were not part of the original agreement, I would be happy to discuss these things after the current contract has been closed."

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 7

Great letter Preston. It has gone into my keeper file.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 7

That's very succinct ... are we allowed to plagiarize it when we have problem clients named Frank?  Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 7

Virginia,

This essentially encapsulates what I actually do.

Of course I want every contractor using Upwork to use fixed-price contracts in a successful way. So use anything here that is useful.

I think one key is to understand that MOST CLIENTS are good, decent people, but that many may legitimately not understand fixed-price contracts. So it is important to take charge of the contracts, to lay out the rules.

This approach does not offend clients or turn them away from working with you. It clarifies things.

Clients who will not accept a contractor who does the agreed-upon work, and then asks to be paid for that work, are probably not good candidates for fixed-price contracts. Your time would be better spent applying to other jobs or working at a local fast-food place.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 7

Agreed. I only work fixed price, but lay down the rules up front, which most good clients understand and don't run away from. My comment was just me having a bit of fun.

In all my time at Elance, I only had one client who turned out to be not so nice (his name wasn't Frank). Asking for more than what was agreed upon and in general ignoring my messages to revisit the bid. In the end, I just had to sit and wait a month for his funds to be released.

It's unfortunate there are so many bottom feeders, but I feel fortunate to have worked with great clients who behave as all professionals should behave.

I hope to never have to use a letter like that, but it's nice to have the verbage if I ever do.

Waqas A Member Since: Nov 22, 2019
7 of 7

Sir, I am facing same problem. I am doing a fixed price contract of 5$ for editing 3 images. I have submitted the project in 1.5 hours. on 24th January 2020. From that day till 27.01.2020 i sent him 3-4 revised images and I worked long for editing but he is not satisfied. So I again worked on the images and again sent him. I repeat this practice 3-4 times but he is still unsatisfied. 

I reuqest you to please guide what I should do? My job success score is 100%. I am worried about my profile. Because I always submit project on time.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS