cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is wrong with this profile photo?

frederick-wells
Frederick W Member Since: Sep 7, 2017
1 of 28

I have a professional portait as my profile and it keeps getting rejected. I also can't submit it to Upwork help desk as it never gives me a way to do that it only shows me suggestion community posts and if I click 'no' this didn't help it only gives me the option to close that window without submitting.

Here's the apparently unaccpaetable profile photo please someone tell me what is wrong with this/

IMG_6979.JPG

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 28

I think you need to crop it so that it only shows your head and shoulders.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
3 of 28

Yep! If I recall correctly, images over say 400 pixals in width will not be accepted. I am not sure of the exact size limitations currently. Consider how small our images actually show up in certain areas of the forums and Upwork proper, and let that be a guide.

Added: Nice photo, but yep, needs to be cropped a bit.

frederick-wells
Frederick W Member Since: Sep 7, 2017
4 of 28

Cropped and shrunk to 400px still get this error 

IMG_6979_cropped.jpg

• We weren’t able to detect your face. Please use a photo where your face is the main focus. When in doubt, use a photo that you would use for your passport.

My face is the only thing in this photo to detect! 

Can anyone tell me how to contact Upwork Support? Their workflow keeps leading me away from any actual contact

meoknu
Navin S Member Since: Sep 5, 2017
5 of 28

You need to see the camera, you cannot see elsewhere, 

See the 3rd point and First Sample
https://www.upwork.com/blog/2014/10/how-to-guide-perfect-profile-picture/

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 28

Frederick,

Could you please try uploading a photo of you looking into the camera so your eyes could be easily recognized by the system? I'm  sorry about the inconvenience but as Navin pointed out it's necessary to follow Upwork profile picture guidelines.

Pandora, unfortunately, we can't make an exception and approve a picture manually.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
7 of 28

@Valeria K wrote:

Frederick,

Could you please try uploading a photo of you looking into the camera so your eyes could be easily recognized by the system? I'm  sorry about the inconvenience but as Navin pointed out it's necessary to follow Upwork profile picture guidelines.

Pandora, unfortunately, we can't make an exception and approve a picture manually.

That is absurd. It's a clear picture of his face. Who cares if he's looking at the camera or not? Why is this a requirement?

pandoraharper
Community Guru
8 of 28

@Valeria K wrote:

Frederick,

Well, on behalf of the OP, thanks a lot of your response. Real pity, cause the OP's photo is in fact a good one.

And thanks for the clarification about manual approval. I figured CS was not doing that anymore, but was not sure.

Might I suggest that a link to the (BLOG? Why not Helpdesk) page appear in the error messge that is being displayed when a photo does not meet guidelines?
pandoraharper
Community Guru
9 of 28

Oh for goodness sakes, surely the upload tool isn't THAT picky. No wonder so many members have trouble with this part of the process.

Frederick, if I am wrong, then see if you can find / or create something where you are looking into the camera.

(I used my USB HD webcam for my photo, and then photoshopped it a bit to adjust the background).

So that might be an option for you, if you have a tool like that handy.

@Valeria, can he get something approved manually so he has time to get another photo ready? I sort of recall I had like 7 days to get my new one in place, but that was years ago.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 28

@Pandora H wrote:

Oh for goodness sakes, surely the upload tool isn't THAT picky. No wonder so many members have trouble with this part of the process.

It's almost certainly a racial issue. There have been many reports/studies regarding how facial recognition and similar software is basically designed with white people as a control and simply don't function as effectively or accurately with darker skin tones. OP's eyes ARE both clearly visible and should be easily picked up by software--they're not even in an unexpected position within the frame of the photo.

Seems like what Valeria is describing as "making an exception" here would more likely be correcting for flawed programming that disparately impacts people of certain races.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS