Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is wrong with this profile photo?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 28

I just ran a freelancer search with no filters, and in the first few pages found these profiles where the freelancer's head is turned at least as far as OP's. Guess what they all have in common?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I've also noticed three others who made recent forum posts since I first read this thread. Seems pretty clear the software isn't working correctly.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
12 of 28

@Tiffany S wrote:

I just ran a freelancer search with no filters, and in the first few pages found these profiles where the freelancer's head is turned at least as far as OP's. Guess what they all have in common?

<snip>

I've also noticed three others who made recent forum posts since I first read this thread. Seems pretty clear the software isn't working correctly.

No big suprise there. As for that list of members you had in your post, I can only IMAGINE how many messages are sitting in their email inbox concerning their photo's, activity, etc.

Because none of those people have been active on Upwork in the last YEAR or so. One of the members had a head photo that including a lit cigarette. Yeesh.

@Tiffany: Clarification question: You found these freelancers via SEARCH? I was under the impression that ALL members who have not earned in the last 30 days had their profiles set to PRIVATE. Apparently, that is also NOT the case.

tlsanders
Community Guru
13 of 28

I went up to "find freelancers" and clicked without entering any filters.

All of those profiles listed appeared in the first 5 or so pages.

To the original point, when I repeated the search just now filtering for freelancers who had been active in the past 30 days, the results were the same in terms of number and demographics of freelancers with turned heads in their profile photos.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
14 of 28

Outside of all the rightful angst -  I can not believe one of the FLers used a pic of herself havng a drag on a cig.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
15 of 28

@Wendy C wrote:

Outside of all the rightful angst -  I can not believe one of the FLers used a pic of herself havng a drag on a cig.

I've seen maybe 4-5 of those in my entire existance on Odesk/Upwork. Boggle!

While I will agree that a good photo is way better then a bad photo, it's takes a certain type of personality to think that photos of ourselves indulging in our favorite vice are "professional".

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 28

Wendy C wrote: -  I can not believe one of the FLers used a pic of herself havng a drag on a cig.

I had one of those in the early days, before the rules got strict... I was quite arty and I loved it. I wasn't having a drag of course, just holding it. I then edited the cigarette out in photoshop but that made the hand position a bit weird so I dumped it.

396132_3349837749649_261884318_n.jpg 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
17 of 28

@Pandora H wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

<snip>

No big suprise there. As for that list of members you had in your post, I can only IMAGINE how many messages are sitting in their email inbox concerning their photo's, activity, etc.

Because none of those people have been active on Upwork in the last YEAR or so. One of the members had a head photo that including a lit cigarette. Yeesh.

@Tiffany: Clarification question: You found these freelancers via SEARCH? I was under the impression that ALL members who have not earned in the last 30 days had their profiles set to PRIVATE. Apparently, that is also NOT the case.

That's an interesting observation, Pandora ...

pandoraharper
Community Guru
18 of 28

@Virginia F wrote:

@Pandora H wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

<snip>

That's an interesting observation, Pandora ...

@ @Virginia - Isn't it though. I'd like to do something with this, but haven't decided what, since this has already been discussed ad-nausuem. Maybe, a PM to a mod. Sigh. I don't give a fig about kudos, it's just that from a personal level, I find this very upsetting.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
19 of 28

I'm perturbed by both the possibility that the OP's very fine photo was rejected on racial grounds and the lack of enforcement of the 30-days of inactivity rule. Honestly, moreso by the former than the latter. 

Frederick's photo is great. it's not even that it's merely acceptable, it's a great photo. It's expressive, it shows personality, it clearly shows his face, it represents his persona. Isn't that what profile photos are supposed to do? If other FLs can have their photos approved with turned heads and lit cigarettes, then surely the OP's professional, very well-done photo should be approved. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
20 of 28

Just to be super clear, I DO believe that the most likely explanation for the disparate result is the well-known flaw in this type of software when it comes to non-caucasion images, but I absolutely am not suggesting that anyone at Upwork is consciously basing approval on race. I think it's a weakness in the program that Upwork appears to be failing to correct for, most likely because the staff has no idea that it's happening.

Melissa, I agree that the photo is excellent, and exactly the type Upwork should be encouraging (and likely would, if it were being assessed by a human).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS