🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What might be the strategy of UW's and fu...
Page options
kalaani
Community Member

What might be the strategy of UW's and future of freelancers.

What might be the strategy behind the UW's localisation and new connects ?

To keep money in USA and bring more profit to USA . Slowly , eventually get rid of non US based freelancers . I can see drastically reduction of good jobs for non US freelancers . Did anyone experienced it  ?  

Is it time to leave  or is that want ?  It is so much pressure for freelancers who have main income source as :upwork: . Loads of  changes time to time brings so much pressure. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UW's stats if you interested in but not relative to above points.

There are 2.2 Mn freelancers who have not earned anything yes .

Only just 0.5 Mn  earned anything in here . 0.11 Mn are from USA 

63,000 of  Top Rated freelancers . 10000 Top Rated Freelancers from USA 

8 REPLIES 8
luce-neidert
Community Member

Kalaani W wrote:

To keep money in USA and bring more profit to USA . Slowly , eventually get rid of non US based freelancers . I can see drastically reduction of good jobs for non US freelancers . Did anyone experienced it  ?  

Is it time to leave  or is that want ?  It is so much pressure for freelancers who have main income source as :upwork: . Loads of  changes time to time brings so much pressure. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure about what their strategy is (except that they probably want to make more money). I'm in France, and I've had less job offers since June, I'm not sure yet this is due to the new policy. However, I have diversified my sources of work a while ago, so things are not too bad for me. I think relying on Upwork only as a source of work is not a good idea.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Kalaani,

Although Upwork's CEO has said that he wants Upwork to "scale a game-changing company while improving the world," giving people worldwide a chance to participate in the knowledge economy, Upwork now has to focus on turning around its continual quarterly operating losses.

If Upwork doesn't make money serving the clients and freelancers who are involved in the lowest-priced projects being posted on Upwork, those people might find working on Upwork is no longer attractive to them.

tlbp
Community Member

Kalaani W wrote:

Kalaani W wrote:

You should definitely take those statistics into consideration when planning your strategy as a business owner. Are there other websites with better hire rates for non-US freelancers? If so, it might be better to invest time and resources seeking gigs on those platforms if you are working outside the U.S.

What are the hire rates for other platforms? Are there any statistics available regarding the hire rates of freelancers who use direct marketing techniques, have their own websites or use social media to find clients? Do U.S. freelancers experience better contract rates universally or only on Upwork? 

I don't think they would want to get rid of freelancers who are abroad since a lot of them are great and bring value to Upwork. However, I think that eventually they will put a stop to new applicants or to people who have never earned a cent here, no matter the country.

Kalaani, connects and US only jobs are unrelated. On the average it takes as many connects to apply to a US job as any other. And if there were no US only jobs, clients could still choose to only hire US freelancers so this might not have as big an impact as you think it does, but that’s just my opinion.

With the current political situation and of US, they want to keep every dollar in USA . 

Companies like UW or other had to work according to this, whether they would like or not . 

That what i'm thinking  and my post is based on that .  

re: "With the current political situation and of US, they want to keep every dollar in USA . Companies like UW or other had to work according to this, whether they would like or not ."

I do not think there is actually any sort of "political situation" in the United States that affects Upwork in any particular way.

You may be interpolating based on news stories overly much.

Upwork's business model is not based on news stories.

Kalaani W wrote:

With the current political situation and of US, they want to keep every dollar in USA . 

Companies like UW or other had to work according to this, whether they would like or not . 

That what i'm thinking  and my post is based on that .  

I don't see that upwork is under an embargo of any kind, with the obvious exception of countries the US is not allowed to do business with. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members