Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

What not to say to your customers.

Active Member
Anthony F Member Since: Jul 27, 2019
1 of 17

This was the responce to my telling the freelancer that I didn't like the design of the work he was doing for me.   This really caught me off guard.

 

From Freelancer

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 

FROM CUSTOMER:

This all came as a shock when i read his message to me.  I'm only hoping he found comfort in his heart after releasing his frustrations out on me.  He has blocked me and I can't even responce.  

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 17

Anthony F wrote:

This was the responce to my telling the freelancer that I didn't like the design of the work he was doing for me.   This really caught me off guard.


Were you asking for your money back? Whilst the freelancer's message to you is out of order, it would be interesting to know what prompted it.

 


Anthony F wrote:

He has blocked me and I can't even responce.  


No, but you could report him.

 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 17

Petra R wrote:

Anthony F wrote:

This was the responce to my telling the freelancer that I didn't like the design of the work he was doing for me.   This really caught me off guard.


Were you asking for your money back? Whilst the freelancer's message to you is out of order, it would be interesting to know what prompted it.


Petra, I recently terminated a contract with a designer who had flat-out rejected and acted against several specific instructions, even after i had pointed them out again and asked for revision, disappeared for several days at a time, and spent about 4x the amount of time other designers had budgeted for the project doing unnecessary work (much of it things I had specifically instructed her not to do). 

 

Despite all that, I told her that I would pay for all of the hours she had worked thus far if she gave me the editable file in progress that day. She spent the rest of the day bombarding me with messages alternately begging and demanding that I give her perfect 5-star feedback, and it took me three days to ultimately retrieve the file.

 

Nutshell: it doesn't take much to trigger some people.

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
4 of 17

Tiffany S wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Anthony F wrote:

This was the responce to my telling the freelancer that I didn't like the design of the work he was doing for me.   This really caught me off guard.


Were you asking for your money back? Whilst the freelancer's message to you is out of order, it would be interesting to know what prompted it.


Petra, I recently terminated a contract with a designer who had flat-out rejected and acted against several specific instructions, even after i had pointed them out again and asked for revision, disappeared for several days at a time, and spent about 4x the amount of time other designers had budgeted for the project doing unnecessary work (much of it things I had specifically instructed her not to do). 

 

Despite all that, I told her that I would pay for all of the hours she had worked thus far if she gave me the editable file in progress that day. She spent the rest of the day bombarding me with messages alternately begging and demanding that I give her perfect 5-star feedback, and it took me three days to ultimately retrieve the file.

 

Nutshell: it doesn't take much to trigger some people.


and I do hope you reported her...
if she couldn't do the revisions properly, that means that she is probably just using stock graphics. apparently, quite a few "designers" on upwork do that - or use canva for their "designs"

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 17

Sanja, it wasn't even that sort of thing. A lot of it was weird stuff. For instance, I asked her to do no more than 2-3 pages and let us review before she went any further. She did 7, and there was a lot that needed to be corrected. One of the problems with those 7 pages was that she had added a bunch of seemingly-random bolding to phrases that weren't at all what we would have wanted to emphasize. I asked her to remove it and to refrain from adding any bolding that wasn't in the original text. When she submitted the full draft, she had added a lot of bolding to the remaining 13 pages, and when I objected to that she went into a rage and told me she had planned to remove it in the final round of revisions.

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
6 of 17

...oh boy...
2-4 pages (or 1-2 spreads) is usually the standard - to establish the style. why would anyone do 7 - well, that's beyond me, lol

and why would a designer deal with the content - that's even bigger mystery.

unless... she wanted to add hours for those "revisions"...adding stuff and then you have to pay additional hours for removing stuff...

 

 

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
7 of 17

Sanja D wrote:

...oh boy...
2-4 pages (or 1-2 spreads) is usually the standard - to establish the style. why would anyone do 7 - well, that's beyond me, lol

and why would a designer deal with the content - that's even bigger mystery.

unless... she wanted to add hours for those "revisions"...adding stuff and then you have to pay additional hours for removing stuff...

 

 


I like to do a whole chapter or maybe even the start of a few chapters, to make sure my choices are going to work with shorter/longer chapter titles, etc. I don't normally send all those over, but I *really* hate it when I'm working on a book and suddenly I get a super long recipe, or a long chapter title, or two straggler lines at the end of a chapter, etc.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 17

It confuses me why freelancers are always so angry and ragey all the time. It's the greatest career choice ever and you're supposed to enjoy life much more. Yer girl went out last night and danced her butt off and bought chicks drinks and lemme tell you yer girl can still pull tail. I'm a happy little freelancer with no worries or cares at all. It's great.

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
9 of 17

let me tell you...sometimes clients can be a pure hell...
"I'm not in love with this" - example of a super helpful feedback I got just about a month ago 
"spice it up a bit"  - salt? pepper? jalapeno?
"I don't like the font - can you change it to something else?" - but, of course - there's only a few hundred thousand fonts available - and we have plenty of time...before my retirement...
"there's too much space",   - note - not negative space, not blank space...just....space...
"that white is not bright enough" - sure, let me invent supernova white - just for you

after a while, you learn to just laugh at those -  but even after 20+ years of freelancing and almost 30 doing all kinds of designs I can catch myself fuming when reading some of them...but I never let the client know - I'm just not available for their next project ;-)

Active Member
Anthony F Member Since: Jul 27, 2019
10 of 17
HI. No I did not ask for my money back, just wasn't happy with the design
and his lack of assistance in helping me set up my shopify store.
It was the strangest reaction I ever had. He ended up refunding me the
money (which I never asked him to do) and then wrote this message and
blocked me. I must say I was really caught off guard.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS