Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What not to say to your customers.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
11 of 17

Anthony F wrote:

This was the responce to my telling the freelancer that I didn't like the design of the work he was doing for me.   This really caught me off guard.

From Freelancer

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

FROM CUSTOMER:

This all came as a shock when i read his message to me.  I'm only hoping he found comfort in his heart after releasing his frustrations out on me.  He has blocked me and I can't even responce.  

Wow. I certainly hope that your feedback to him when ending the job will be honest. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 17

Anthony:

I'm sorry you experienced something like that here on Upwork.

That should not happen to any client, not matter what the client has said or done.

It helps all of us - freelancers and clients alike - when this kind of thing is reported, and when Upwork removes bad apples like that from the platform.

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
13 of 17

Well, I missed the original message because it was edited for community guidelines. I guess it was insults or something, and all you can do is to report the freelancer since you have the dialogue even if you were blocked.

What I would like to mention is that clients need to be very careful when they choose a freelancer, and while working frequent communication is key to avoid problems. You will spot easily in conversation if they are professionals or amateurs trying their luck. In design and web development there are thousands of people who just use templates, they custom a few things and voilá, but deep down they are clueless about design, code or the software they are using. So when the client doesn't like the template or really needs a customization that requires knowledge they have no place to run and start the roundabout way.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
14 of 17

Sergio S wrote:

Well, I missed the original message because it was edited for community guidelines. I guess it was insults or something, and all you can do is to report the freelancer since you have the dialogue even if you were blocked.

What I would like to mention is that clients need to be very careful when they choose a freelancer, and while working frequent communication is key to avoid problems. You will spot easily in conversation if they are professionals or amateurs trying their luck. In design and web development there are thousands of people who just use templates, they custom a few things and voilá, but deep down they are clueless about design, code or the software they are using. So when the client doesn't like the template or really needs a customization that requires knowledge they have no place to run and start the roundabout way.

It was bad. Real bad. I wonder how freelancers that can't contain their anger (at their life, the world, ...) think they can be successful. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. 

Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
15 of 17

I recently received a 1 star feedback from a freelancer. I was accused of being rude (I wasn't). It seems she didn't take kindly to me pointing out that her work was not up to par. She was basically spinning articles despite me specifically asking her to rewrite thoroughly. They slipped through the QC net (my fault) leaving me with a very unhappy customer. 

It's just one of those things that we need to take on the chin from time to time. I think her attitude may have backfired on her a little, because she stands out on my feedback profile against the other reviews that are mostly very positive. 

Anthony F Member Since: Jul 27, 2019
16 of 17
Hi
Thanks for sharing. I'm a pretty mellow guy and it takes a lot for me to
get upset, but this person attached me verbally and I was confused as to
why.
I guess I could report them, but I do not want to affect his ability to
make a living. I'm just righting it off as "oh well"
Anthony F Member Since: Jul 27, 2019
17 of 17
Hi
Thanks for your insights. You are right that some pose as professionals