cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What options do i have here ?

ankushchhabra
Ankush C Member Since: Sep 12, 2012
1 of 14
My CEO got to know today that i am working as a Freelancer and he has seen my profile He gave me 2 options 1) Continue working as a Freelancer and leave the job 2) Leave freelancing and focus entirely on job . For me , an 8 hour regular job is a must to have. I am planning to finish all the pending stuff in two weeks and will abandon the odesk profile. But i was just wandering that do i have any options ? Making my profile hidden wont help either. PS: I have opened support ticket just now but would like to know Contractors community's view. Regards, Ankush
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
2 of 14
What does this have to do with oDesk support? It seems that you violated the conditions of your full time employment. I seriously doubt if oDesk support is going to help you find ways to deceive your employer.
ellechilli
Ace Contributor
Elia Grace L Member Since: Jul 19, 2011
3 of 14

david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
4 of 14
What kind of job do you have where they can dictate to you what you do on your own free time? It seems strange to me that a company can tell an employee they are not allowed to take extra work on their own time outside of working hours? Personally, I would look for a new job and once you find one, tell this employer to piss off.
m84champloo
Community Leader
Matija M Member Since: Feb 4, 2013
5 of 14
Lol, this, exactly. I'd rather go with option 1, be hungry and find another job than continue to work for that POS of human being.
t-hall
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
6 of 14
When trying to hire a housekeeper during my stay in MX, I was told she was not 'allowed' to work for anyone else and I'd need to ask permission from her boss. Why? I asked.. and was told 'because they "own" her'. Shocked. If you can afford to live off your freelancing earnings, I'd put more time and effort into that and use whatever time you have left to look for more freelance jobs. it may be tough in the beginning,. but you'll probably look at it as the best decision you've made in a long time - once you have steady work coming in. You'll probably make more per hour than your day job anyways, you're profile is damn near perfect. Also, there are a lot of freelancer sites out there, if you haven't already, it may be worth your time to create a profile on each to increase your exposure. If you treat looking for work, as a job in itself.. you'll be more financially successful in the long run than you will working for someone else. BUT ya gotta be willing to work at it like you would as though you opened any other business, and you had everything riding on it's success. I just left a $1200/wk contract because the owner began to treat me like property... was the best decision I made in a long time. Takes balls... but better in the long run!
gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
7 of 14

Tony H wrote:
When trying to hire a housekeeper during my stay in MX, I was told she was not 'allowed' to work for anyone else and I'd need to ask permission from her boss. Why? I asked.. and was told 'because they "own" her'. Shocked. If you can afford to live off your freelancing earnings, I'd put more time and effort into that and use whatever time you have left to look for more freelance jobs. it may be tough in the beginning,. but you'll probably look at it as the best decision you've made in a long time - once you have steady work coming in. You'll probably make more per hour than your day job anyways, you're profile is **bleep** near perfect. Also, there are a lot of freelancer sites out there, if you haven't already, it may be worth your time to create a profile on each to increase your exposure. If you treat looking for work, as a job in itself.. you'll be more financially successful in the long run than you will working for someone else. BUT ya gotta be willing to work at it like you would as though you opened any other business, and you had everything riding on it's success. I just left a $1200/wk contract because the owner began to treat me like property... was the best decision I made in a long time. Takes balls... but better in the long run!

Piotr, this thread is eight years old.

marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
8 of 14
Many job contracts have exclusivity clauses. My full time b&m jobs have had them. They are one of the things that can distinguish a freelance role from a role as an employee, with minimum wage, health insurance, pension benefits, etc. At the companies I've worked for, developers were pretty much on call almost 24/7, because if the website isn't working the company is losing money, so if the OP is doing that type of work in their full time job, I can see why working elsewhere wouldn't be allowed. Then there is the issue of you possibly working for a competitor. The employer is paying for these restrictions by guaranteeing minimum wage, paid time off, etc.
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
9 of 14
It really is not unheard of. The real issue here is that this OP is asking oDesk and the forum to help figure out ways to be deceptive. OP got away with this for over a year, probably knowing all along that the company did not allow it.
ankushchhabra
Ankush C Member Since: Sep 12, 2012
10 of 14
1) Nature of job i am doing for my Employer is exactly same as i am doing for my Clients . Nature of job is same but the work is not conflicting . because i may create some different type of reports for client and different type of reports for my employer. For me , reports are just numbers/arranged in some order/format as desired by client/employer 2) From freelancing , I am earning at least equal to my monthly salary paid by my employer. 3) There is no clause in my contract with employer that i am not supposed to work outside 4) I never worked for any client while in office although i replied to their emails. Yes, i do use my official laptop while freelancing . 5) My employer work never get hampered because of my freelancing as i did it in my own free time (mostly on weekends) 6) I have only 1 major skillset ie JasperReports .
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS