cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s New - Be the First to Know About New Features and Updates

Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
1 of 13
Hello oDeskers, We hope that the new year has started well for all of you. Here at oDesk we continue to work hard to provide the best online workplace for you to grow your career and business. We understand that the changes we make to provide you a better service impact the way you work and use this platform. To keep you informed on what’s new, we will be doing regular posts on our new "What's New on oDesk" blog with updates on new tools and features. We will also post those updates here in the "Feedback" section for the Community to discuss. Keep in mind, many of the new features we will share are still being tested with small numbers of users and you may not see them right away. However, we want to ensure you know what we’re working on and have a chance to provide your feedback. So. . . what’s new this week? The latest features added include a brand new feedback response feature and some handy search filters. More Transparency with Feedback Response: Hidden feedback comments withhold important performance information from future clients and make it harder to identify the highest performers. To rectify this, we are replacing the ability to hide feedback comments with a feedback response option: The freelancer and client now get a chance to post a "response" to a feedback comment left on their profile. Since this is obviously a sensitive area, we are starting with a small set of users, and will roll this out to all users in a couple of weeks. Learn more here. Hone your Search with New Filters: Search plays a pivotal role in finding the right job or freelancer. We have added filters to improve your search experience. Freelancers can now filter jobs based on the experience level required - either Entry, Intermediate or Expert. Applying to jobs that match your experience level will naturally put you at an advantage among other applicants. For clients we have added a country based filter. It's something clients have asked for, but we've been concerned it may needlessly narrow clients' recruiting prospects for the majority of jobs where location is not a critical factor. We are testing to see if this filter helps. There’s also a new job based search option for clients which will give you recommended freelancers based on your job post. To get the latest news, you can find a link to the new “What’s New” blog in the top right corner while logged into your oDesk account under Help & Community. You will see a notification in this drop down whenever there’s a new post. We will also post here in this Feedback forum. And, as always, we value your feedback and discussion and we welcome you to join the conversation here on the forum. Happy Working The oDesk Crew
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Myrna M Member Since: May 1, 2010
2 of 13
I would like to add that rating a person/freelance performance would be a lot nicer, if the freelancer with a long term job, would be rated every 3-6 months. So the work history, will be a lot more transparent. If at the end you had an issue, it wont affect, the rating of the previous months/periods. I find it a lot more fair like this, than giving a rate at the end of the job. And it could ruin a Freelancer's reputation. But if a freelancer has been working for a long time (6 or more months ) the season/period rating would help to see that while he was performing the job, he did a good job, and a single rate wont affect the entire performance of the job, and the freelancer reputation. If a freelancer performance was not good at all, and the client had a lot of patience, it will show in the rate history, that during the project the freelancer never did good. I would say every XX months would be nice to rate a freelancer's performance.
laurence d Member Since: Nov 23, 2009
3 of 13
I very much agree with Myrna ! And I am hoping that rating becomes mandatory. There are still recruiters out there who do not take the time or just are not bothered to rate their freelancers. It is a huge loss for a freelancer not to have his/her work acknowledge, especially on long term missions.
Marc R Member Since: Nov 18, 2012
4 of 13
One workaround I see for this is, as a freelancer, request your employer to end the job posting every x weeks/months and post another one.
Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
5 of 13
[quote=Myrna M.]I would like to add that rating a person/freelance performance would be a lot nicer, if the freelancer with a long term job, would be rated every 3-6 months. So the work history, will be a lot more transparent. If at the end you had an issue, it wont affect, the rating of the previous months/periods. I find it a lot more fair like this, than giving a rate at the end of the job. And it could ruin a Freelancer's reputation. But if a freelancer has been working for a long time (6 or more months ) the season/period rating would help to see that while he was performing the job, he did a good job, and a single rate wont affect the entire performance of the job, and the freelancer reputation. If a freelancer performance was not good at all, and the client had a lot of patience, it will show in the rate history, that during the project the freelancer never did good. I would say every XX months would be nice to rate a freelancer's performance.[/quote] There are clients that don't mind ending a contract just to give feedback, and immediately rehire, but I have a client that doesn't want to Smiley Sad I asked after working for him for 8 month, he said no, but not to worry that when then time came it would be good. It's been 1 year now and still nothing. I even told him it was just about feedback, to hire me at the same rate. I don't know when is the right time to ask again Smiley Sad
Othman A Member Since: Jan 6, 2013
6 of 13
in the rating system, if the client payed nothing, then the freelancer would not has the right to right a public comment on this job experience on the client profile, this is absolutely Unfair, and you've seriously rethink about this issue. the second thing is about the search results,, I know that filters is an important thing, but there is another thing that we should give attention too, it's the order of the search outputs, currently it depends on how many the keyword has been written in the freelancer profile, I suggest you to give the ability to the user to choose the best way to order the search results, for example, he can choose if he want the list to start with the most experienced freelancer, or the one who has the biggest number of portfolio items, or so. I don't say that this is the best solution, but the current way is really not the best. thanks for being open and for keeping enhancing the website for us,,, and always remember, it may be a service to enhance this site, but it's a matter of justice more than being a service. It's a Role of Judging people.
Kip M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
7 of 13
I agree. If employers can leave feedback then freelancers should be able to leave feedback on the experience with the person doing the hiring. That said, I have had a couple of freelancers hassling me to leave them full 5 star reviews even though I have not thought their work was truly worth 5 stars. One has even gone so far as to return the fee so that the review won't show up... As someone who was looking for a few freelancers to generate ideas, there was very little to discriminate between on the star ratings and they have become almost useless now. Almost everyone I see is 4.5-5 stars, in which case what's the point in having them? A quid pro quo between the hirer and hire for reviews might balance out the process a little, but there is still a major weakness. Perhaps if next to each star review is the average score given by each hirer, so if you only give average work 3 stars (as should be the case) it is shown on a scale next to the rating? If you always give 5 stars no matter what the outcome then this would be shown. Perhaps give an indication of the number of hidden reviews or returned fees? This is a weak system and needs attention IMHO. Odesk needs to make some changes to ensure freelancers appraisals are useful and honest and that they also have some recourse to appraise the client.
Biswajit K Member Since: Feb 14, 2013
8 of 13
I think the country based filter for clients is useless, as for most of the jobs location of the freelancer is not important.
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
9 of 13
I agree with that. I'm born and bred UK, resident in Ireland, and bid for and get US jobs regularly (or did until they introduced the random application-shredding mad robot, but that's another thread hey ho....). the thing is, US clients may not realise that they don't need a US-based freelancer to proofread/edit their work - they need a good proofreader/editor who is proficient with the US style. So by introducing the restriction they may be unwittingly missing out on eminently suitable clients. I think the fundamental problem with this kind of restriction is that it flies in the face of the whole concept of a global business community marketplace
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
10 of 13
A lot of jobs are looking for a native english speaker, and they say they will only hire someone from a specific country or list of countries. The problem I see with this is that, I know a lot of native english freelancers who are based in non-anglo countries. Also, as a client, I've come across freelancers who are in anglo countries but has a problem expressing themselves in english. Being in a certain place/country/region does not mean anything when what I want is quality service with a freelancer I can communicate with. No one becomes a magically better/worse performer by moving abroad or by being born in a certain place. In my opinion, the filters would be better off as rating based. Example, as a client, I would like the option to filter out any freelancer with a feedback of lower than 4.8 and have less than 5 jobs completed (this is only an example).

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS