Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's going on with Rising Talent?

dvillares
Ace Contributor
Daniel C Member Since: Jul 22, 2016
1 of 3

The day before yesterday I saw a "Rising Talent" badge on my profile. I was really happy about that. Then all of a sudden it was removed. I thought to myself that maybe Upwork made a mistake or something. I contacted Upwork through chat and they didn't seem to know exactly what was going on. They gave me the usual line about what Rising Talent means and what I could do to get the badge back.

Then yesterday I got another email. It said "Welcome to the Rising Talent Program". I was happy about that but there seemed to be a little problem. I wasn't able to see the badge on my profile. So I contacted support again. They told me they were going to verify the situation for me.

Today I received yet ANOTHER email. This time telling me "We're sorry to inform you that you no longer qualify as a Rising Talent freelancer on Upwork". What???

So apparently I got to enjoy the benefits of being Rising Talent for 24 hours. I don't get it. What's going on? 

I wish this wasn't so cryptic. It's like Upwork is trolling me or something. I try to laugh it off, but being part of the Rising Talent Program could really benefit me. This could be the difference between getting that job I want or getting no job at all. I was told that I now qualify for a Job Success Score. That's nice and all, but I'd really like to keep the badge until it's replaced by the JSS. 

I feel like I'm in limbo. I'm not Rising Talent, yet I don't have a JSS. It's like that Britney Spears song: "I'm not a girl/Not yet a woman".

Can someone help me with this? 

Thank you!

helloholly_d
Ace Contributor
Holly D Member Since: Sep 22, 2016
2 of 3

Wow, that sounds really frustrating. 

I just joined UpWork a few days ago and I've already had one of these moments. I took a few tests and was super happy I passed, but then it posted on my profile as "Below Average". 

I don't have nuts, but if I did, that would have been a kick in them. 

Then I looked closer "833th out of all 14,860 test takers"

So basically the percentile out of Everyone on the internet (ok.. everyone on UpWork) threw me down the ranks. 

I wonder if this is partly the issue with this whole Rising Talent thing? If they go by percentiles and a set standard "bar" then the numbers would be changing all the time.

Maybe. I'm still figuring out how all this works. 

-Holly

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
3 of 3
@Daniel C wrote:

So apparently I got to enjoy the benefits of being Rising Talent for 24 hours.    

I never had Rising Talent status at all when I started so I missed out on the bonus 60 connects that come with the program.                              

This could be the difference between getting that job I want or getting no job at all.

No, what makes the difference is a complete profile with an attractive bio and portfolio. Oh and the ability or talent to make a client think you're the bees knees and that without you his project will go bust is a really good thing - don't ask me how this happens cuz I haven't figured it out just yet.

I was told that I now qualify for a Job Success Score.

This is a good thing. Everyone levels up after the Rising Talent phase when they have a few jobs under their belt.

That's nice and all, but I'd really like to keep the badge until it's replaced by the JSS. 

A badge means squat in the grande scheme of things. You can get badges from anywhere and (possibly) put it on your profile. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS