cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's going on with this company (Upwork)?

sequeavictor
Ace Contributor
Victor S Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
1 of 8

It is true that if I do not generate income in 30 days, my profile will be placed as private? ... and ... if I sent many proposals my account will be suspended ?. Can anyone tell me if this is true ?.Smiley Mad

PD:Excuse me for my english.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 8

Yes, it's true.

Upwork makes an effort to show clients active freelancers, and the way they've chosen to measure that is whether the freelancer has earnings in the past 30 days. It's not a big issue--you can simply contact customer service to have your profile set back to public if you're actually active, and you can still submit proposals and the clients who receive your bids will be able to see your profile. 

Upwork also discourages high volume bidding, as it tends to be a practice employed by low-quality freelancers who use cut and paste bids and bid on everything they might possibly be able to do. Clients receiving a large number of irrelevant bids are less likely to hire, and freelancers who submit a large number of bids without being hired create a track record that suggests that clients on Upwork are not interested in working with them.

sequeavictor
Ace Contributor
3 of 8

So, I must choose carefully where to send my proposal and avoid job posts with many proposals.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 8

I wouldn't necessarily avoid posts with a lot of proposals if you're a great choice for that job--a lot of those proposals will be junk. But yes, choose carefully. A good way to measure this is to ask yourself why the client should hire you over other applicants for the job. If you don't have a job-specific answer to that question, you may want to think twice about bidding.

sequeavictor
Ace Contributor
5 of 8

Thanks for the information, I will not lie to you but now I feel very pressed to get work on this platform. But I agree with you about bidding in posts where I know I can have a great chance of being hired. Smiley Very Happy

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8

re: "Thanks for the information, I will not lie to you but now I feel very pressed to get work on this platform."

Why? Who told you that you need to get work on this platform?

Most people in the world aren't freelancers on this platform, and most freelancers here don't get any work.

sequeavictor
Ace Contributor
7 of 8

Mr. Preston, perhaps I did not express myself well. No one is forcing me to get work on this platform but I'm from Venezuela and this platform is the best and unique option that I have to get a job and to survive in my country. Also, I love working here!

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
8 of 8

@Victor S wrote:

Thanks for the information, I will not lie to you but now I feel very pressed to get work on this platform. But I agree with you about bidding in posts where I know I can have a great chance of being hired. Smiley Very Happy

As Tiffany states above, even if you don't land a job within 30 days and your profile is made "private," you can still bid on jobs. Your profile being private merely means that you will not appear in searches. You can reset your status to "public" by getting in touch with Customer Service - there will be a message on the site when you log in giving you your options.

Carefully selecting the jobs you apply for will help you to budget your Connects. You have positive work history and a 100% JSS, so you shouldn't be too worried. I would recommend raising your rates.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS