🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: What's telegram? Is this a scam?
Page options
ab_creative_co
Community Member

What's telegram? Is this a scam?

I got a response from a proposal, but the message did not have a lot of information. Instead, it had me download a PDF about setting up an interview, but the document was full of VERY obvious grammatical errors and the layout was a mess. The PDF says the company is Continental, but I am unsure. They asked me to set up an Interview using an app called Telegram... is this a scam?

86 REPLIES 86
florydev
Community Member

Ashleigh B wrote:

I got a response from a proposal, but the message did not have a lot of information. Instead, it had me download a PDF about setting up an interview, but the document was full of VERY obvious grammatical errors and the layout was a mess. The PDF says the company is Continental, but I am unsure. They asked me to set up an Interview using an app called Telegram... is this a scam?

I would error on the side of most likely.  The question you have to ask is even if this is legit, would you want to work with a company that is that unprofessional? 

Never heard of Telegram, it looks pretty sketch to me.

OMG!! i know this was posted a few days back, but i had just went through the VERY AWFUL SCAM with **Edited for Community Guidelines**, & they were through upwork as well!! i was totally SCAMMED by **Edited for Community Guidelines**too!! they contacted me through UPWORK about a month ago about a job as a **Edited for Community Guidelines**, & they told me to download an app on my phone called "telegram" (which i found out is a LOUSY piece of crap app), & speak to a lady on there named "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" who is the supposed "HR MANAGER" of c**Edited for Community Guidelines**.. well i.looked up continental **Edited for Community Guidelines**website & it did look VERY LEGIT to me... so i went ahead & got started... first they wanted to send me a check for office supplies including a new windows desktop PC & software for the job (because i only have a laptop & NOT a desktop PC anymore), & so i had DEPOSITED the check to my checking account... it took my bank a SEVERAL DAYS to process it (i guess because of the current pandemic going on), & after it finally did process, i was then TOLD BY THE "HR MANAGER" to go transfer the $$ from the check to the VENDORS for my office supplies by using "BITCOIN", (which i had NEVER used in my life & i was VERY HONEST about that to ms. **Edited for Community Guidelines**& that i was VERY APPREHENSIVE about doing any of the bitcoin stuff, but she told me "it is FINE, just follow my directions, yada-yada-yada", & i did EXACTLY as she told me to... well a few days later, i found out MY BANK ACCOUNT GOT CLOSED BECAUSE OF SUPPOSED FRAUD!!! so supposedly that "check" that **Edited for Community Guidelines** sent me WAS FRAUD!! but the problem is, because i did the transfers to bitcoin, now i have to PAY BACK THE BANK!! i am in a REAL MESS & I DONT KNOW HOW TO GET OUT OF IT!!

that is why i am trying to find ANYBODY ELSE who might have been scammed/almost scammed by **Edited for Community Guidelines** too just like us... i want to possibly BUILD A CASE AGAINST THOSE SCAMMERS!!! so may i ask... would you like to help me with this? if you want to that is... if you do not wish to, I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND... i just want to find sonebody else who had been through what i have and can help me build a solid case about them to the courts, or the BBB or something!!!

i am very sorry for the very long post. thank you for taking the time to read it, and hopefully i will hear from you if you are interested in helping me get these scammers... if not, i do hope that everything will go great for you & i wish you all the best. thank you so much & have a GREAT day!!! 🙂

Hi Karen,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. I can confirm the job post you are referring to was already removed and client's account addressed for violating Upwork ToS. Please take a look at the list of tips for recognizing fraudulent jobs Lena compiled and posted Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

There are several pdf to word job postings posted on accounts that just opened this month.

it gives phone numbers or requests that we contact them on the Telegram app before even an interview.

What I've noticed:
1) They offer a lot of money.
2) They have never hired anyone or paid anyone.
3) They recently joined Upwork.
4) They have immediately ask you to talk on another app

I have wasted about 20 connects applying to these scammers. I'm so angry.

77c1d106
Community Member

Thanks this just saved me time and heartache.

@Da'Zheonna M

I'm glad you saw that. Please stay safe when you're applying to jobs on Upwork. There are a lot of scam posts for data entry lately. As a general rule, try to avoid responding to any job post that gives outside contact information.

Also check out this post:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Same here. This new "job offer" is that kind of scam: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for flagging! We'll get it reviewed as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Upwork

As I'm scrolling through these messages about fellow freelancers having to deal with "jobs" posted by scammers trying to defraud on Upwork, I also see an article about tips to help us avoid scam jobs. The question that arises is where is Upwork's responsibility here? Don't they screen clients? Why is dealing with scammers the freelancer's job?

Hi Jacqueline,

I understand the frustration but I'd like to assure you that our Trust & Safety team is aware of the problem and is taking it seriously. They are working to address the issues, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, and constantly changing methods of scam accounts. Feel free to check an update in this post for more information about the team's efforts around addressing these issues.

~ AJ
Upwork
nesdem
Community Member

Hey Jacqueline,

I totally agree with your comment. In some posts, ad even includes telegram accounts or versions implying that this is a TG account. Like TG or T L G R M.

I apply ads from time to time, when I am done with projects. So I did not have any chance to screen quality of the ads but I distinctly notice that each time I enter  a period of time for applying ads I see that quality of ads detoriates and this process is happening fast. 

While I spent some decent time to flag any job post that I spent my connects away I also realized that wording of these spams improved a lot. This also led me thinking Upwork's share.

How can I know if Upwork actually is aware of these posts and lets them be! Go figure!  Cause they will earn money from connects. Even worse, what if they are actually publishing these **bleep**ty posts themselves. How can you prove such thing? I cannot find any explanation to a situation where they can resolve easily, like they can as well charge clients even before they post an ad, or filter words or abbv. for external apps like Skype, Telegram whatever. I seriously am getting very frustrasted about this. If for any reason, I think Upwork's fall will be because of this situation. 

Sigh.. I found this post way too late.. I already wasted almost my entire Connects balance to scam offers like these

ermievb
Community Member

Thanks, I got 1 offer also and when they send me the contract I got doubtful due to the letterhead and look of it then immediately googled Upwork job offer scam, bcoz the first time he send me the link of Telegram it's already negative 1.

and since when/ how did you smell that was a scam? Did you work for them and they did not pay you as promised or sth else?

No, they aren't real jobs and nobody gets paid; the scammers just waste your time and tell you a bunch of complete nonsense to try and steal your money. Also, it's against the terms of service for you to contact clients off of Upwork before you have a contract ON UPWORK, and accepting payments off the platform - even if the client did actually pay - is grounds for having your account banned. So, there's that. Read the terms of service before you go any further, because the majority of people don't get scammed unless they break the rules.

For all the reasons she listed. 1) They offer a lot of money.
2) They have never hired anyone or paid anyone.
3) They recently joined Upwork.
4) They have immediately ask you to talk on another app

It is a scam i went through the whole process

1e1214eb
Community Member

I just git hired on upwork 

And someone wanted to convert a 30 image to PDF

By typing it so I sent my connects and that person contacted me on upworks messages tab and then gave me their telegram link for an "interview" 

On telegram they said each page I type they would pay me $40 so in total $1200 but the money won't be sent unless I finish the whole project 

Also there is no "security fee" 

Do you think its a scam?

And even if, what would they benefit? They didn't ask me anything about personal information tho

I got the same too ask me to type 15 images to pdf .

How did that go ? Is that a scam?

They are scams. 

Karen, those people are in a country far, far away. They were (of course) not the company they told you, who would (of course) not send a check (real or otherwise) for that much money (or any check) to a stranger on the Internet. Of course suppliers of office equipment don't ask for payment in bitcoin. Of course companies who want to send equipment to employees do so by having their purchasing department buy the stuff and have it shipped. There was literally no chance of this being real. None. That scam is as old as the hills.

It's really unfortunate that you decided to violate Upwork's terms of service by accepting payment outside the platform. I hope the bank gives you time to pay the money back.

354a634a
Community Member

Glad my spider senses were up - why would a random person/company send a check ?  I'm so sorry you went through this and I hope you get your money back.  Back to the drawing board for me. 

Karen T wrote:

OMG!! i know this was posted a few days back, but i had just went through the VERY AWFUL SCAM with **Edited for Community Guidelines**, & they were through upwork as well!! i was totally SCAMMED by **Edited for Community Guidelines**too!! they contacted me through UPWORK about a month ago about a job as a **Edited for Community Guidelines**, & they told me to download an app on my phone called "telegram" (which i found out is a LOUSY piece of crap app), & speak to a lady on there named "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" who is the supposed "HR MANAGER" of c**Edited for Community Guidelines**.. well i.looked up continental **Edited for Community Guidelines**website & it did look VERY LEGIT to me... so i went ahead & got started... first they wanted to send me a check for office supplies including a new windows desktop PC & software for the job (because i only have a laptop & NOT a desktop PC anymore), & so i had DEPOSITED the check to my checking account... it took my bank a SEVERAL DAYS to process it (i guess because of the current pandemic going on), & after it finally did process, i was then TOLD BY THE "HR MANAGER" to go transfer the $$ from the check to the VENDORS for my office supplies by using "BITCOIN", (which i had NEVER used in my life & i was VERY HONEST about that to ms. **Edited for Community Guidelines**& that i was VERY APPREHENSIVE about doing any of the bitcoin stuff, but she told me "it is FINE, just follow my directions, yada-yada-yada", & i did EXACTLY as she told me to... well a few days later, i found out MY BANK ACCOUNT GOT CLOSED BECAUSE OF SUPPOSED FRAUD!!! so supposedly that "check" that **Edited for Community Guidelines** sent me WAS FRAUD!! but the problem is, because i did the transfers to bitcoin, now i have to PAY BACK THE BANK!! i am in a REAL MESS & I DONT KNOW HOW TO GET OUT OF IT!!

that is why i am trying to find ANYBODY ELSE who might have been scammed/almost scammed by **Edited for Community Guidelines** too just like us... i want to possibly BUILD A CASE AGAINST THOSE SCAMMERS!!! so may i ask... would you like to help me with this? if you want to that is... if you do not wish to, I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND... i just want to find sonebody else who had been through what i have and can help me build a solid case about them to the courts, or the BBB or something!!!

i am very sorry for the very long post. thank you for taking the time to read it, and hopefully i will hear from you if you are interested in helping me get these scammers... if not, i do hope that everything will go great for you & i wish you all the best. thank you so much & have a GREAT day!!! 🙂

Karen, it's a shame you had to learn the hard way. It will be little consolation to you to know that this is a very very well known scam and has been discussed in this forum ad nauseam. You could have avoided your troubles simply by coming here and checking a few threads, or simply knowing that it's against upwork ToS to accept payment outside of upwork, or by common sense because nobody just gives a stranger on the internet free equipment. 

re: "i just want to find sonebody else who had been through what i have and can help me build a solid case about them to the courts, or the BBB or something"

Thank you for your detailed description of your experience.

I do not blame you for being disappointed by what happened.

To save you time, let me assure you that the scammers you interacted with don't live in the U.S. and were not using their real names. You have no recourse through the BBB or the courts.

Hi there I just want you to know you're not alone. I think I've been scammed but through a different company offering the same things. A check and office equipment. I ended up filling out job forms for the companies and I fill I am now screwed. I'm not sure what to do from here, I am so frustrated confused and lost at this point. When everyone is trying to make it day by day and there are people out here scamming innocent people. This has to be stopped. If you have any advice on what you had to do please share because I don't know what to do at this point.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brittany, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience. I checked your account, and I can see that you are yet to complete your Upwork freelancer profile. When a freelancer's profile registration is not accepted, or not yet complete, they will not be able to bid for jobs in the Upwork marketplace. I wanted to check if you may be referring to a client whom you have communicated with through another account? 

I'd also like to note that it is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service to offer and accept payments outside of Upwork. You may read more about it here, and here for more information. 

If you can share more details about your experience, our team will look into this for you. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Did you provided any personal details in those forms? If yes then contact relevant authorities and report this.

Hello I have a friend right now that has told me about this company! I need help proving to her it is a scam! Help, as she has tolde she is filling out a W4 form for them.

re: "I have a friend right now that has told me about this company!"

Who told you about what company?

re: "I need help proving to her it is a scam! Help, as she has told she is filling out a W4 form for them."

If your friend is filling out a form or providing information specifically for Upwork, that is legitimate. Not a scam.

But if your friend has been asked to fill out a form for a client, that is probably a scam.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shavonna,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report? I’ll check it and advise you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Just got a second one myself. I stopped short of giving info the first time. @UpWork needs to do a better job getting these what seems to be legitimate jobs or gigs off the site!

Hi Douglas,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the job posts you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and escalate it accordingly.

~ Nikola
Upwork
7c40adc4
Community Member

Hi, how do I PM you the details on another telegram scam? I was contacted and sent a pdf doc to have an urgent interview via telegram.

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your message. Please click the name on this post to send a private message. I checked the job post you were referring to and it seems that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork

🙂

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Desleriverson,

Thank you for your report. I checked the job post you were referring to and it seems that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork

There are several false jobs on upwork running this same scam. I wish upwork would come up with a way to report these scammers. I have recieved to request for telegram.

Hi Michele,

I would like to clarify that we have an option to flag job posts, messages who are suspicious to you. To learn more about how you can report suspicious activity, check out this Help Article

You can also reach out to us Moderators via PM (click on our name) with more details so that we can investigate it further. 

To learn more about how to protect yourself, check out the safety first section in this Thread. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths