Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

What's telegram? Is this a scam?

Highlighted
Active Member
Ashleigh B Member Since: May 28, 2020
1 of 12

I got a response from a proposal, but the message did not have a lot of information. Instead, it had me download a PDF about setting up an interview, but the document was full of VERY obvious grammatical errors and the layout was a mess. The PDF says the company is Continental, but I am unsure. They asked me to set up an Interview using an app called Telegram... is this a scam?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
2 of 12

Ashleigh B wrote:

I got a response from a proposal, but the message did not have a lot of information. Instead, it had me download a PDF about setting up an interview, but the document was full of VERY obvious grammatical errors and the layout was a mess. The PDF says the company is Continental, but I am unsure. They asked me to set up an Interview using an app called Telegram... is this a scam?


I would error on the side of most likely.  The question you have to ask is even if this is legit, would you want to work with a company that is that unprofessional? 

 

Never heard of Telegram, it looks pretty sketch to me.

 

Highlighted
Active Member
Karen T Member Since: May 31, 2020
3 of 12

OMG!! i know this was posted a few days back, but i had just went through the VERY AWFUL SCAM with **Edited for Community Guidelines**, & they were through upwork as well!! i was totally SCAMMED by **Edited for Community Guidelines**too!! they contacted me through UPWORK about a month ago about a job as a **Edited for Community Guidelines**, & they told me to download an app on my phone called "telegram" (which i found out is a LOUSY piece of crap app), & speak to a lady on there named "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" who is the supposed "HR MANAGER" of c**Edited for Community Guidelines**.. well i.looked up continental **Edited for Community Guidelines**website & it did look VERY LEGIT to me... so i went ahead & got started... first they wanted to send me a check for office supplies including a new windows desktop PC & software for the job (because i only have a laptop & NOT a desktop PC anymore), & so i had DEPOSITED the check to my checking account... it took my bank a SEVERAL DAYS to process it (i guess because of the current pandemic going on), & after it finally did process, i was then TOLD BY THE "HR MANAGER" to go transfer the $$ from the check to the VENDORS for my office supplies by using "BITCOIN", (which i had NEVER used in my life & i was VERY HONEST about that to ms. **Edited for Community Guidelines**& that i was VERY APPREHENSIVE about doing any of the bitcoin stuff, but she told me "it is FINE, just follow my directions, yada-yada-yada", & i did EXACTLY as she told me to... well a few days later, i found out MY BANK ACCOUNT GOT CLOSED BECAUSE OF SUPPOSED FRAUD!!! so supposedly that "check" that **Edited for Community Guidelines** sent me WAS FRAUD!! but the problem is, because i did the transfers to bitcoin, now i have to PAY BACK THE BANK!! i am in a REAL MESS & I DONT KNOW HOW TO GET OUT OF IT!!

that is why i am trying to find ANYBODY ELSE who might have been scammed/almost scammed by **Edited for Community Guidelines** too just like us... i want to possibly BUILD A CASE AGAINST THOSE SCAMMERS!!! so may i ask... would you like to help me with this? if you want to that is... if you do not wish to, I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND... i just want to find sonebody else who had been through what i have and can help me build a solid case about them to the courts, or the BBB or something!!!

i am very sorry for the very long post. thank you for taking the time to read it, and hopefully i will hear from you if you are interested in helping me get these scammers... if not, i do hope that everything will go great for you & i wish you all the best. thank you so much & have a GREAT day!!! 🙂

Highlighted
Moderator
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 12

Hi Karen,

 

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. I can confirm the job post you are referring to was already removed and client's account addressed for violating Upwork ToS. Please take a look at the list of tips for recognizing fraudulent jobs Lena compiled and posted Here. Thank you.


Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 12

Karen, those people are in a country far, far away. They were (of course) not the company they told you, who would (of course) not send a check (real or otherwise) for that much money (or any check) to a stranger on the Internet. Of course suppliers of office equipment don't ask for payment in bitcoin. Of course companies who want to send equipment to employees do so by having their purchasing department buy the stuff and have it shipped. There was literally no chance of this being real. None. That scam is as old as the hills.

 

It's really unfortunate that you decided to violate Upwork's terms of service by accepting payment outside the platform. I hope the bank gives you time to pay the money back.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
6 of 12

Karen T wrote:

OMG!! i know this was posted a few days back, but i had just went through the VERY AWFUL SCAM with **Edited for Community Guidelines**, & they were through upwork as well!! i was totally SCAMMED by **Edited for Community Guidelines**too!! they contacted me through UPWORK about a month ago about a job as a **Edited for Community Guidelines**, & they told me to download an app on my phone called "telegram" (which i found out is a LOUSY piece of crap app), & speak to a lady on there named "**Edited for Community Guidelines**" who is the supposed "HR MANAGER" of c**Edited for Community Guidelines**.. well i.looked up continental **Edited for Community Guidelines**website & it did look VERY LEGIT to me... so i went ahead & got started... first they wanted to send me a check for office supplies including a new windows desktop PC & software for the job (because i only have a laptop & NOT a desktop PC anymore), & so i had DEPOSITED the check to my checking account... it took my bank a SEVERAL DAYS to process it (i guess because of the current pandemic going on), & after it finally did process, i was then TOLD BY THE "HR MANAGER" to go transfer the $$ from the check to the VENDORS for my office supplies by using "BITCOIN", (which i had NEVER used in my life & i was VERY HONEST about that to ms. **Edited for Community Guidelines**& that i was VERY APPREHENSIVE about doing any of the bitcoin stuff, but she told me "it is FINE, just follow my directions, yada-yada-yada", & i did EXACTLY as she told me to... well a few days later, i found out MY BANK ACCOUNT GOT CLOSED BECAUSE OF SUPPOSED FRAUD!!! so supposedly that "check" that **Edited for Community Guidelines** sent me WAS FRAUD!! but the problem is, because i did the transfers to bitcoin, now i have to PAY BACK THE BANK!! i am in a REAL MESS & I DONT KNOW HOW TO GET OUT OF IT!!

that is why i am trying to find ANYBODY ELSE who might have been scammed/almost scammed by **Edited for Community Guidelines** too just like us... i want to possibly BUILD A CASE AGAINST THOSE SCAMMERS!!! so may i ask... would you like to help me with this? if you want to that is... if you do not wish to, I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND... i just want to find sonebody else who had been through what i have and can help me build a solid case about them to the courts, or the BBB or something!!!

i am very sorry for the very long post. thank you for taking the time to read it, and hopefully i will hear from you if you are interested in helping me get these scammers... if not, i do hope that everything will go great for you & i wish you all the best. thank you so much & have a GREAT day!!! 🙂


Karen, it's a shame you had to learn the hard way. It will be little consolation to you to know that this is a very very well known scam and has been discussed in this forum ad nauseam. You could have avoided your troubles simply by coming here and checking a few threads, or simply knowing that it's against upwork ToS to accept payment outside of upwork, or by common sense because nobody just gives a stranger on the internet free equipment. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 12

re: "i just want to find sonebody else who had been through what i have and can help me build a solid case about them to the courts, or the BBB or something"

 

Thank you for your detailed description of your experience.

 

I do not blame you for being disappointed by what happened.

 

To save you time, let me assure you that the scammers you interacted with don't live in the U.S. and were not using their real names. You have no recourse through the BBB or the courts.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
8 of 12

Mark F wrote:

Ashleigh B wrote:

I got a response from a proposal, but the message did not have a lot of information. Instead, it had me download a PDF about setting up an interview, but the document was full of VERY obvious grammatical errors and the layout was a mess. The PDF says the company is Continental, but I am unsure. They asked me to set up an Interview using an app called Telegram... is this a scam?


I would error on the side of most likely.  The question you have to ask is even if this is legit, would you want to work with a company that is that unprofessional? 

 

Never heard of Telegram, it looks pretty sketch to me.

 


I would have thought you were --- experienced ---- enough to know what a telegram was. It was a piece of paper that the postman brought to you personally if somebody wanted to tell you something very urgently and could not be bothered to pick up a phone. A bit like a letter, but it could come at any time of day. It was weird. 

Highlighted
Moderator
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
9 of 12

Hi Ashleigh,

 

Thank you for flagging this to us. I was able to locate the proposal you're referring to, and I can confirm that action has been taken on the client account due to a violation of Upwork's TOS.

 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

 

Thank you.


~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Active Member
Ashleigh B Member Since: May 28, 2020
10 of 12

Hi Bojan, 

 

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I figured it wasn't legitimate from that message, but I wasn't really thinking about the high potential for scams when submitting proposals. 

 

Is there any way I can be credited back for the Connects used to submit this proposal? 

 

Thank you,

Ashleigh

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS