Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the Meaning of "Due Date in a Contract"

Highlighted
Community Guru
MD Shahadat H Member Since: Dec 7, 2015
1 of 21

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what's the meaning of "Due Date" in Contract? is this the date when my contract will automatically expire? Should i submit my work before this date??

Rick M Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 21

It is the date by which you agreed to submit completed work to your client. You should submit the work the client ordered to them by the due date. If you do not submit by that date, you can be in violation of the contract and they can cancel it and/or give you a bad rating. However, if your client agrees that you can submit work past the due date, that is between you and them, Upwork will not cancel the contract because you are late, it's up to your client whether or not it's okay for you to submit work later.

Community Guru
MD Shahadat H Member Since: Dec 7, 2015
3 of 21

Thank you Rick, But is that all?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 21

Hi MD Shahadat,

Rick is correct, due date is an option the client can use when setting up a milestone. The contract won't be automatically closed if you don't submit the work before that date. However, you may want to make sure you and the client are on the same page about terms and deadlines.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Leader
Lee Ann M Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
5 of 21

just double-checking on this issue - I just noticed that I had a due date of Feb. 26 on a job.  the client and I have been working together as the job morphed and I know he didn't expect the product to be done by then (it is now finished and I've submitted it).  if he pays and has no negative feedback or complaints, do I still need to ask him to change the due date?  

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 21

@Lee Ann M wrote:

....do I still need to ask him to change the due date?  

No need, the due date is purely a point of reference between client and freelancer, and can not be retroactively changed anyway.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 21

Hi LeeAnn, 

As mentioned above, the contract won't be automatically closed if you don't submit the work before the due date so there is no need to ask the client to change it.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Leader
Lee Ann M Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
8 of 21

Thanks All!

Jesamine M Member Since: Aug 5, 2017
9 of 21

Hello, 

I understood the term "due date" in a contract to be binding. So far, I cannot discern if UpWork honors this or not. My freelancer is 5 days late on her project and has not responded to my inquiry.   In terms of the contract, she has violated its terms. There should be no reason why I should need to add any language about "deadline means deadline". This is a written contract, it's s not "loose guidelines" for getting the job done.

I'm a very flexible and personable client. This woman has taken advantage of that. I want to end this contract and pay one of my better freelancers to do what she didn't.

Can an UpWork moderator (or someone who has gone through and solved this issue) please respond?

Kind regards,

Jesamine

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 21

Hi Jesamine,

I can confirm the due date is set and used as a reference, and while it's up to both parties to agree on the time frame for completing a contract this date won't directly affect the contract itself. If your freelancer hasn't delivered the work as agreed and stopped responding to your messages, and the completion date for the contract was clearly stated and agreed on at the onset of the contract, you can take action and inform the freelancer about the reasons for ending the contract. Note that if the freelancer delivered part of the work you should consider issuing a partial payment to cover those tasks they completed.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS