cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the Meaning of "Due Date in a Contract"

Jesamine M Member Since: Aug 5, 2017
11 of 21

Hi, thanks for responding.  This message left my head spinning. 

"I can confirm the due date is set and used as a reference, and while it's up to both parties to agree on the time frame for completing a contract this date won't directly affect the contract itself."

It's set, but does not affect the contract itself?  

I should not have to specify, "due date means due date".  

Yes or no?  The contract due date is part of the contract?  The contract is a binding document?  If not, then UpWork's contracts are pointless.  Fixed price has no meaning.  Hourly has no meaning. Job description has no meaning.

I'm confused.  In the U.S. a contract is a binding document meant to protect both parties. If I set a "due date" on a contract, I expect delivery on or before the due date.  Those are the terms of the contract to which both parties agreed.

Regards,

Jesamine

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
12 of 21

Hi Jesamine,

The date does stand for a point in time the work is supose to be delivered but this is usually discussed and agreed upon before the contract is created. I'm sorry if my previous message created confusion, I was trying to explain that not submitting or releasing a Milestone won't have an impact on the contract itslef or user's reputation automatically. You can take action on your contract but the system won't register the

You as a client need to define the scope of work for your project and communicate your expectations in detail, in order for the freelancer to manage those expectations and deliver great work. If they were aware of the time frame in which they were expected to complete the work, you can take steps you feel are appropriate on this contract and hire a different freelancer for the same job.

13 of 21

Okay, thanks for clarifying.  In all my years as both a freelancer and a client, this kind of issue has never come up.

Kind regards,

Jesamine

Usman J Member Since: Dec 25, 2018
14 of 21

Hi there,

Are you saying that going under or over the deadline does not affect freelancer's reputation as long as client is okay with it. But I read in Upwork documentation that completing project before/after due date may reflect on freelancer's job success score. Can you please confirm if it's the case or not.

Regards,

Usman

Awais K Member Since: Jan 18, 2019
15 of 21

Hi, can any one tell me If I delivered the work after due date. Will it affect my job success score?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 21

If no work was done just end the contract and ask for your Escrow funds back (if it is a fixed rate contract)

The freelancer then has 7 days to approve or reject the return of the Escrow funds. If the freelancer approves, the funds go back to your payment method straight away. If the freelancer does nothing the funds go back after 7 days.

If the freelancer disputes it goes to mediation.

If the contract was hourly you still pay for the hours logged so far (if any)

17 of 21

The immediate actions I could take are clear.  Yes, I could do what you said, but that is not my issue. I need to know how Upwork defines its contract terms so that I can better structure mine in the future.

Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
18 of 21

When a freelancer submits a proposal on a fixed budget project why does the milestone option include a blank for a freelancer to enter a due date? Due dates should be set by the client during the interview process, not by the freelancer when submitting a proposal. It makes no sense to do that. The proposal form should only provide an option to get paid by "Milestone" or by "Project". Period. The Milestone should not include a place for the freelancer to establish a due date. How is the freelancer supposed to know what due date the clent wants to establish for a project the details of which haven't even been discussed yet? I don't get it. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 21

@Gary Val T wrote:

How is the freelancer supposed to know what due date the clent wants to establish for a project the details of which haven't even been discussed yet? I don't get it. 

Just leave it blank in such cases? What is the problem?

Due date is mainly irrelevant anyway. Nothing happens when you go over or under...

Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
20 of 21

If it's irrelevant then why is there in the first place?

And, now that you mentioned just leaving it blank, that would be a good idea. However, if I recall correctly, leaving it blank causes it to light up red which I think is an indicator that you can't proceed to submit the proposal until something is entered into the blank space.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS