Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's worse to JSS, refund or bad feedback

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Andy D Member Since: Feb 19, 2016
1 of 6

so I'm in the middle of this dispute with a client. Money is in escrow but it was advised to me that refunding the money might lower my JSS less than winning the dispute and getting one star retaliation feedback.   

Has anyone given in and refunded escrow while in a dispute (that I filed btw)? If so, what kind of hit did your JSS take?  I wonder if I should swallow my pride, pretend this was pro bono work and never accept a fixed price contract again - assuming I can keep my JSS above 90% in order to even get more contracts. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

It will make little or no difference to your JSS, which will probably take a hit either way as the client is not likely to mark the contract as ended successfully etc in his internal feedback.

The only difference is that there will be no publically visible feedback showing on your profile if no money was paid.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Andy D Member Since: Feb 19, 2016
3 of 6

Thxs Petra!! Wow, what a tough decision - let the client get away with his scam for free work but maintain my peace of mind and lesson learned OR push to win the dispute.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 6

If you can get the client to choose "job completed successfully" you'll be fine. If they want a refund cuz he mad, well... prolly not gonna happen.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sarah W Member Since: Aug 10, 2010
5 of 6

Depending on the kind of work you did for them, they may not be able to get away with using it. No monies paid means it wasn't a work-for-hire so if they use it, they are obligated to pay for it or it's infringment on your copyright. I think it's still technically yours until it's paid for.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
6 of 6

IMO If youve preformed the job requirements, and met the timeline, and feel that you have a very good chance of "winning" the dispute, then Go for it. Giving back money teaches a client that this is the way to get free work. As for feedback. you can always write "Through the dispute process it was determinded that I have performed satisfactory work according to the requirements of the contract and the work was delivered on time. However the party who loses the dipute will still feel that they are right and they usually take out that fustration by giving a negative score and negative feedback. I hope that in this circumstance that doesn't happen, but if it does, that is the reason why."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS