Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's wrong with clients lately?

lonewulf
Ace Contributor
Tasos F Member Since: Dec 18, 2012
1 of 22

I've had few contracts lately that although went great they gave me a 4.0 score on availability.

Every single request they asked for, I answered it within few minutes in the new messaging system yet they were not happy with the availability.

When I asked one of them why the low score on that particular category they said that I appeared as "Away" on the new messaging system. That was a contract where I literally answered every question they asked within few minutes (as logged by the messaging system) and also delivered work within few hours (no deadlines).

Go figure...

testsandeep
Community Leader
Sandeep C Member Since: Oct 24, 2013
2 of 22

bad luck Tasos. Thank God that atleast you get a reply.

m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
3 of 22

"... I've had few contracts lately that although went great they gave me a 4.0 score on availability.

Every single request they asked for, I answered it within few minutes in the new messaging system yet they were not happy with the availability..."

Tasos, you aren't alone in this experience. When we switched to Upwork, I got clients who made history on my record with dismal feedback though showing no sign of disatisfaction throughout the life of the contract - some even showing outright joy at my performance.

It disturbed me at first but it no longer does. I realized it's a matter of mindset and there is nothing you can do about the mindset of someone else. Instead of worrying about unreasonable feedback, I proceed to secure more jobs. After my disappointing experience I've been lucky to work with wonderful clients who understand the working set-up of a client versus a contractor. So worry not - there are still great clients out there; and also brilliant ones who know better than be influenced by one or two bad star ratings.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 22

The thing is, many people do not realise that you are not in the same city as them, that you do not do a traditional 9 to 5 job, and that you, as a human being, have a life outside of upwork with responsibilities...oh, and that you also need to sleep sometimes.

This is why, if someone messaged me while asleep, I answer with "Good morning, how are you today?"

theegroup
Ace Contributor
Brian E Member Since: Jul 21, 2015
5 of 22

With due respect I'm abhorrently against this advice. When you begin to constantly bend to the whim of a client your a servant not a business. My clients know my hours and I give the deadlines for their projects. I meet those deadlines. If a client wants me to step outside my comfort hours for hours of operation or anything they  either pay for it or don't have that option. Most times is the latter.

I can go work for a company and get 9-5hours and work on their time and do things the way they wanted if I wanted to work for others. Instead I run a business, I run it the way I want and deliver a quality product.

Managing client expectations, deliverables and expected outcomes is a better topic to concentrate on than advising people to satisfy a client, who pays less than a 3% of my income.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 22

I used to work for a guy who believed that there was always room for improvement, so when you got your reviews, you never got your full bonus due to "there is always room for improvement" style reviews.

Basically, it made me just be mediocre cuz why try at that point?

Same with clients. There are those people who feel like giving glowing reviews is some kind of bad thing. Sure, no one is perfect, but when this place is the life blood for someone and the person did well, why not throw them a bone? Sheesh.

Don't sweat it. Some people are just lame.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 22

lol @ Jennifer

Yup, or are pleased as punch with what you have done, give you a glowing review...and do not give you 100% on the private feedback...and poooooofffff.....goes JS. 

Basically, screwed if you do, and screwed if you don't.

"Shrugs"...focus on the green!

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
8 of 22

Irene, that is something that, quite frankly, I'll never understand. To be honest, I didn't know about the "private feedback" option for clients until recently, by reading these boards. I'll never understand why a client would leave glowing reviews on a contractors profile, but not leave the same glowing reviews on the private feedback. Ok, I understand that some clients might get confused with the private feedback thing and think that they are giving a good review when really, they're not. But still, if there were any issues or concerns that the client had regarding any contractor, why not make it blatantly obvious to the contractor? After all, we can't improve in an area if we don't know what areas need improvement.

Personally, I think the private feedback thing should simply be removed. That would cut down on the confusion for the clients (or misclicks), and allow clients to be more forthcoming about their true feelings on our work performance in their "live" feedback - which, in turn, will provide us with the essential information that we need in order to continue improving and growing as independent contractors. Not to mention the fact that by the sounds of things, the feedback we get from the private client feedback seems to outweigh the scores they give us on the public feedback. 

Upwork says to improve our JSS, we need to keep making our clients happy - but with the private feedback implemented, how can we do that when the clients aren't being totally honest with us on our public feedback score?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 22

@Dawn L wrote:
I'll never understand why a client would leave glowing reviews on a contractors profile, but not leave the same glowing reviews on the private feedback. Ok, I understand that some clients might get confused with the private feedback thing and think that they are giving a good review when really, they're not. But still, if there were any issues or concerns that the client had regarding any contractor, why not make it blatantly obvious to the contractor?

Because many have found to their cost that leaving anything other than 5 stars will see them subjected to a barrage of pleas, begging, threatening, emails, skype messages, or even sabotage of work. So rather than go through all that again they leave 5 stars to have peace and quiet, then say what they really think in private, where they are "safe(ish)" from any negative reaction

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
10 of 22

@Petra R wrote:

@Dawn L wrote:
I'll never understand why a client would leave glowing reviews on a contractors profile, but not leave the same glowing reviews on the private feedback. Ok, I understand that some clients might get confused with the private feedback thing and think that they are giving a good review when really, they're not. But still, if there were any issues or concerns that the client had regarding any contractor, why not make it blatantly obvious to the contractor?

Because many have found to their cost that leaving anything other than 5 stars will see them subjected to a barrage of pleas, begging, threatening, emails, skype messages, or even sabotage of work. So rather than go through all that again they leave 5 stars to have peace and quiet, then say what they really think in private, where they are "safe(ish)" from any negative reaction

Ok, I can understand that. Still, how does this private feedback help the freelancer improve in the areas that are so greatly affecting their JSS, if said freelancer doesn't have an accurate/truthful review from their clients? I personally have no problem with constructive criticizm, it's what helps me improve and grow as a freelancer. But, I can't do that if I don't know what areas I'm lacking in. 

If our goal as freelancers are to continually improve the way we work with our clients, then this feedback is vital - especially if our JSS scores rely more heavily on the private feedback than it does the public feedback.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS