cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What's wrong with the quality of jobs on this platform?

shummas
Ace Contributor
Shummas H Member Since: Jul 2, 2016
1 of 63

So I work in the writing category, articles and blogs to be more precise. Well, I'm not sure about other categories but I have been seeing way too many job postings having the same description over and over again. Now I do know that these clients are different because they all have a different history. But it's just weird to think of it you know. It instantly turns me off whenever I see a job description that is copy pasted.

I spot at least 10-20 jobs everyday that contain a copied job description. It immediately raises questions that whether the client is even serious about getting the work done? 

Are the quality of jobs in the writing category reducing? Firstly, this is because the clients seem to use copied job descriptions and secondly, they pay way too less. I've constantly been told to try and score better paying jobs but I rarely ever see a job in my news feed that pays more than $1.5 for 100 words. Most of them are low paying gigs ending at 1$ for 100 words. Is it because summer is a weird time to start or is it because good/serious clients on this platform are slowly turning away in my cateogry? 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 63

It's not the jobs - it's the clients. Just move on from them, and don't apply.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
3 of 63

Some people will tell me that it's just me, my profile, and my cover letters etc. and that everything is actually fine.

Feel free to do so.

Nevertheless, IMHO, the quality of clients has seriously deteriorated over the past 2 months.

I have never before seen so many lowballers and, in particular, farmers on here. They are all over the place. Openly so - and absolutely tolerated by Upwork. They have been reported many times - and nothing happens.

I receive invites by well-known farmers (seeking experts at $0.01/word) or scammers that make my blood boil on a daily basis.

The thought that Upwork probably recommends me for these jobs - ugh.

It is not just newbies with questionable profiles that encounter this problem. My work on here has come to a standstill.

Now, I haven't changed...

ETA: With "questionable profiles" I do NOT mean the OP! This is just to address the general consensus that newbies don't secure well-paid jobs due to their lacking profiles.

shummas
Ace Contributor
4 of 63

Finally! Someone who gets me. 
I've contantly been told to target the high paying clients, but how am I suposed to target them if I do not even spot them in the first place? Smiley LOL 
I am new on this platform, but have a seemingly nice profile for someone who joined just 2 months ago. 
So it's not the incomplete profile that forces me to settle for low paying gigs. It's the obvious absence of valuable jobs on here! 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 63

@shummas H wrote:

....I've contantly been told to target the high paying clients, but how am I suposed to target them if I do not even spot them in the first place? 

Shummas,

High-paying clients do real work in the world. They provide marketable services that require the input of writing and editorial professionals like us. Using examples from my client list, they are surgeons, tax accountants, pharma representatives, inventors (of real products with market potential), genuine publishers (usually owning a niche, on- or offline), clinical researchers, and postgraduate and post-postgraduate academics.

They are not content mills on how-to and (Turing help us) "health," or wannapreneurs with some cockamamie notion they are about to transform our lives and line their pockets by doing something that either can't be or already has been done.

Their postings are literate and precise. We know from reading them exactly how their businesses will have benefited from our services, or they give enough information that we can ask intelligent questions based on our expertise.

Best,

Michael

p.s. As has been noted for a while here several times, Northern hemisphere summer is a relatively slack time for business, and the Northern hemisphere, particularly the US, is the biggest source of jobs. Things should be picking up.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 63

Ela, I agree.  The past month has been wretched.  I've gotten more invitations than ever before but none of them are appropriate for me, or appropriately priced.  For the first time, I've been getting invites from farmers.  I hope September will be better because August was just horrible.

This widget could not be displayed.
7 of 63
This widget could not be displayed.

If the farmer jobs will be taken down the number of jobs will decrease at least 30%. Probably, that's the reason why they are here. And the same jobs are often offered on other freelancer platforms or taken from there. Eventually, there are so many jobs with such a low payment that can not be regarded as legit jobs and are immoral. 

shummas
Ace Contributor
8 of 63

But you see, there are just way too many jobs that are low paying and have copy/pasted descriptions. Where are all the supposedly good and nicely paying clients at? Man Surprised 

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
9 of 63

First, thanks for posting an interesting topic, Shummas.

Second., despite I encounter lots of trash jobs in the feed I am still trying to address it to the seasonal nature of the platform. Good paying clients are currently off. As for now,  my best paying gig so far is paused by the client 2 months ago and I have no idea if he will  ever resume it, despite it is just some 40% complete. They just put all their projects with me and other freelancers on hold since that day. Some of my clients left after the new fee structure was rolled out. I still sincerely hope some of them return from September on.

Upwork has three key stakeholders: clients, us freelancers, and themselves who work within or with Upwork Global Inc. All of these live on the money brought or earned by just one group - the clients. That extremely simple stakeholder analysis leads us to an equally simple conclusion: To improve in general and become a better platform (or favorite project manager's term: to lead it to a desired and measurable state of being a better platform), Upwork needs to bring in better clients. There are at least ways to go.

Primarily, they should try to attract major companies across industries. Upwork did some moves towards it, they advertized in some of the leading business publictions and periodicals.

Secondly, they might try to attract more clients of any size from outside the English-speaking world. I still see very little jobs from Europe-based clients when compared to the economic power of Europe and its gross domestic product.  OK there are certain cultural implications in why European businesses are not eager to become clients on freelance marketplaces, but doubt its the key reason. Same goes for developed countries in Asia. 

There are other possible ways to attracting a better clientelle to Upwork:  getting rid of the lowest performing among both clients and freelancers, improved site reliability, stability and speed, empowering freelancers to improve, just to name a few.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 63

However, we also have to consider why the farmers and unscrupulous clients are on a roll.

Thousands of people, both qualified and unqualified are price-cutting in order to get (what they think) is a foot in the door. Eventually, this will take its toll on all internet job platforms.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS