cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What's wrong with the quality of jobs on this platform?

trothaar
Ace Contributor
Teresa R Member Since: Feb 6, 2012
21 of 63

I'm glad you are successful in this industry, but I think your experience is the exception, not the rule. I've been stuck in the copywriting industry for the past 10 years, and I have nothing to show for it. I'm tired of being poor, and if I were going to earn above poverty-level wages as a copywriter, it would have happened by now. There's just very little demand other than on the lowest rungs, and a nearly endless supply of people who can write, or at least think they can write.

All that said, I'm not just complaining; I'm doing something about it. I need to build skills that are in demand and that pay well. Unlike writing, everyone and their brother aren't capable of taking a whack at building a complex, responsive website in HTML5/CSS/JavaScript or writing a Python program to parse XML files.

lizablau
Community Guru
Lisa B Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
22 of 63

@Teresa R wrote:

I'm glad you are successful in this industry, but I think your experience is the exception, not the rule. I've been stuck in the copywriting industry for the past 10 years, and I have nothing to show for it. I'm tired of being poor, and if I were going to earn above poverty-level wages as a copywriter, it would have happened by now. There's just very little demand other than on the lowest rungs, and a nearly endless supply of people who can write, or at least think they can write.

All that said, I'm not just complaining; I'm doing something about it. I need to build skills that are in demand and that pay well. Unlike writing, everyone and their brother aren't capable of taking a whack at building a complex, responsive website in HTML5/CSS/JavaScript or writing a Python program to parse XML files.

I agree with Tiffany. I've been finding consistent copywriting work since joining Upwork around 8 months ago. So, I'd say there's a fairly high demand for copywriters.  

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
23 of 63

I agree with Tiffany's comments ... but then, neither my interests or talents run to programming.

Is you are really keen on adding different genre skills; you must care about the field for reasons other than financial rewards. 

This widget could not be displayed.
24 of 63
This widget could not be displayed.

All US-freelancers who are quite happy and have a lot of jobs should not forget that their US home market is quite different than the market for other regions. Looking beyond one's own nose can sometimes help to understand the complaints of others. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
25 of 63
On the other hand, Margarete, the buyers and the money are mostly from the northern hemisphere, and particularly from the US. No matter where one lives, one can target the richest market.

Best,
Michael
wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
26 of 63

Monkey wrench time  Smiley Happy

Margarete, almost all my long-term and "more than worth it from a financial perspective" clients are from Western Europe / the UK and a few other counties - Turkey, Israel, Lebanon; Hong Kong and Singapore. Perhaps half a dozen are US based. One was Canadian - until I fired them.

Many were acquired directly or via referral - but more than a few were E originally and timed out.

I honestly believe a good client is going to be a good / well paying / loyal client where ever they are from.  That said, our fields are different - so what applies to me could very well not apply to you.

I've always wished that platforms would not lump writer and translator jobs into one cat. .... it is a PITA for all of us.

lizablau
Community Guru
Lisa B Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
27 of 63

@Douglas Michael M wrote:
On the other hand, Margarete, the buyers and the money are mostly from the northern hemisphere, and particularly from the US. No matter where one lives, one can target the richest market.

Best,
Michael

No, while some of my highest paying clients are U.S. based, the vast majority are not. 

researchediting
Community Guru
28 of 63

Lisa,

You and Wendy have usefully reported similar success with non-US clients, which does not invalidate the overall picture of revenue flow on Upwork. I welcome correction from anyone who has access to the global data.

Best,
Michael

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
29 of 63

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Best,
Michael

... the "richest markets" are mainly looking for native English copywriters, editors, proofreaders etc.

I target different clients, as does Margarete. 

Does anybody (of the people doing so well) offer their main service(s) in a language that's not English?

Of the ones who do, do you charge more than approx. $30/hour? Or have succesfully charged more than $65/hour in the past?

Just because you are not experiencing the same issues doesn't mean they don't exist. Especially not if we are operating in different segments of this seemingly global market.

My segment(s) is (are) being taken over by farmers. On an alarming scale. 

And Upwork is just watching. While waving the "violation of TOS"-flag at everybody else. 

researchediting
Community Guru
30 of 63

Points taken, Ela. Thank you for the reality check.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS