cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's wrong with the quality of jobs on this platform?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 63

@Margarete M wrote:

All US-freelancers who are quite happy and have a lot of jobs should not forget that their US home market is quite different than the market for other regions. Looking beyond one's own nose can sometimes help to understand the complaints of others. 

Well, I am not US based and I am very happy (if overworked) and turn down work most days.

Maybe looking beyond one's nose at the opportunities on offer can ALSO help to understand that if something isn't working the way you want it to, change something. Change approach, look beyond the obvious, or indeed change platform.

This widget could not be displayed.
32 of 63
This widget could not be displayed.

@Petra R wrote:

Well, I am not US based and I am very happy (if overworked) and turn down work most days.

Maybe looking beyond one's nose at the opportunities on offer can ALSO help to understand that if something isn't working the way you want it to, change something. Change approach, look beyond the obvious, or indeed change platform.

Yes, I know, Petra. And because everything is fine for you, others who complain, must do something wrong. It is my fault if I am bombed with low ball job offers? And please, do not suggest me to leave the platform as long as you did not buy Upwork! I quit this discussion now.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
33 of 63

I wonder how do you say calm down in German.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
34 of 63

re: "I wonder how do you say calm down in German."

With beer.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
35 of 63

@Margarete M wrote:
And please, do not suggest me to leave the platform

I suggested no such thing!

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
36 of 63

Petra, you certainly do not rely on U only ..... do you??

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
37 of 63

@Wendy C wrote:

Petra, you certainly do not rely on U only ..... do you??

Wendy,

I don't know about Petra but I only have one client off Upwork in my local area. The rest of my work is here and I work 6 to 7 days a week with no lull time. I also turn down work daily.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
trothaar
Ace Contributor
Teresa R Member Since: Feb 6, 2012
38 of 63

I noticed that you are a transcriptionist. I did med-legal transcription for several years, until I blew out my wrists. I can still type, but I can no longer type at top speed, all day long, day in and day out. (I also can't do push-ups, side-arm balances, or any other exercises that require putting weight on my wrists.)

Because I cannot even accept work in that category, I cannot speak to the transcription market here on Upwork or in general. I can only speak to the copywriting market. And I reiterate: While I don't doubt that a few select people are doing well, and I certainly do not begrudge them their success, in my experience, they are the exceptions, not the rule. Overall, there is very little demand for copywriters except on the lowest levels. I get plenty of solicitations for work that pays minimum wage or less. I have a couple of on-again, off-again clients who pay considerably more, but there simply aren't enough of them to make a full-time living.

I have tried prospecting off of Upwork and gotten even worse results than I do here. Most companies who don't use Upwork to hire writers simply have the receptionist write copy in between answering the phone.

I feel I would enjoy coding, but more importantly, I feel I could make a living. If you literally don't earn enough to pay for housing and food, nothing else matters.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
39 of 63

I agree. If after investing 10 years in a field you aren't seeing profitability then it is time to try something different. I would say better sooner than later. You can add skills while earning what you can with the old skill set. Off of Upwork, SEO guys who do the non-content stuff tell me they start billing at $50 per hour. So if I had programming aptitude, I'd probably look into those opportunities. 

I'd also investigate tech skills for adding video to webpages and social media posts. That seems to be a growing field. 

Build on what you know and make it more profitable. Good luck!

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
40 of 63

Teresa, I'm kind of thinking aloud here but what reputable organizations / forums / discussion boards, etc. are there for cyber security?  Participating on one or two will def. lead to contacts and they all need newsletters; white papers; PR, possibly collateral materials and so forth ....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS