cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do If client do not need the job and does not respond ?

monirulalom
Md. Monirul A Member Since: Jun 29, 2016
1 of 13

One of my client sent me an offer ,I accepted but after that she tells me that she have hired another freelancer and she does not need this job done by me , She can cancel the job . But this will harm my job success rate . 72 day passed . I get a notification mail from odesk that if anu contract action is not taken then  I'll have to refund. that will harm my job success rate   but my client does not respond . What  should I do now  ?

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
2 of 13

Hi Monirul,

First things first: Do not create multiple threads on the same topic.

You have made an exact same posting in the Clients’ forum.

Second, there is not much you can do. Either you or the client has to cancel the job.

You can’t force her to hire you.

Such accidents do happen from time to time; there is nothing we can do about it.

Did you respond late to the offer?

"Certa bonum certamen"
monirulalom
3 of 13

If I cancel the contract , will it affect my job success rate ?

one suggested me to ask client to pay just $1 and give a positve feedback . if client responds and do so , it will be good for my profile ?

I responded within 2 hours .

monirulalom
4 of 13

One of my client sent me an offer ,I accepted but after that she tells me that she have hired another freelancer and she does not need this job done by me , She can cancel the job . But this will harm my job success rate . 72 day passed . I get a notification mail from odesk that if anu contract action is not taken then  I'll have to refund. that will harm my job success rate   but my client does not respond . What to do now  ?

gnakeur
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
5 of 13

Just close the contract yourself. If there was no payments what are you going to refund? I also had such situation in the past and community advised me to first have an interview with the client and only after that accept the offer. 

You can not do much here, but be sure that this inacative contract will hit your JSS soon. So just close it. I really think that upwork should not count such contracts(without any hours logged and without any money funded) in JSS calculation, but it is as it is and you have to take it.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 13

Md. Monirul, what you need to do is close the contract and move on. Learn from your mistake. Do not make the same mistake again.

You made a tactical mistake.

You should not accept a contract until you know enough about the job to do at least ten minutes of work.

Then, when you accept the offer, immediately do at least ten minutes of work.

That way you will not have a contract closed without you having worked, and the contract will not be a zero-pay contract.

This applies to hourly rate contracts.

For fixed-price contracts, you should not accept the contract until you have enough information to finish the job.

Then, after you accept the offer, do the job.

If you wait too long, then, yes, a client may hire somebody else. But if you do the work in a timely manner, as agreed and discussed, this is unlikely.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
7 of 13

You can try that.

Your JSS won’t take much of a hit if you have a good track record.

Don’t worry too much about the JSS; just concentrate on doing good work.

"Certa bonum certamen"
evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
8 of 13

@Md. Monirul A wrote:

If I cancel the contract , will it affect my job success rate ?

one suggested me to ask client to pay just $1 and give a positve feedback . if client responds and do so , it will be good for my profile ?

I responded within 2 hours .

Hmm, asking her to pay $1 for nothing is like bribing her to leave you good feedback. If I were a client asked to do this, I wouldn't leave good feedback, because I am forced to do so. And that is highly unprofessional on the part of the freelancer.

Just close it, and move on. I have a habit of closing inactive contracts now and then, even if I run the risk of having no feedback. It's not the end of the world, right? Smiley Happy

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 13

Hi Md. Monirul, 

The Job Success score includes many factors such as public and private feedback on all of the contracts you have had including those that were closed without any money paid and don't show on your public history. Additionally, certain long-term contracts may count positively if they are active, but negatively if they are idle. So I would suggest you ask your clients to close contracts that you are not using anymore or close them yourself if you don't hear back.

Your Job Success Score is 86% and you have very good feedback from your clients, and have ongoing long term contracts which I think is great and should count postively on your JSS score. 

-Avery
Untitled
davis_megan
Megan D Member Since: Jun 30, 2016
10 of 13
Glad I found this thread, because I have no idea what to do about my idle contracts.
So if I am understanding this correctly, closing idle contracts will actually help my score? I have a few that have been idle for more than a year, but I didn't want to close them and screw up my score.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS