🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What should I do about a problematic client?
Page options
edwarddinzole
Community Member

What should I do about a problematic client?

I am pretty new to working through Upwork, though not particularly new to working freelance remotely. I have a client who requested a logo for 100 dollars, with 80 going to me and the 20% being taken for the Upwork fee. When the job was originally discussed, we agreed that I would do a collection of rough passes, and then the client would approve some to be finalized and colored in a style we agreed upon. This client was not remotely prompt in responding, and when he did bother responding, it was almost always just a single sentence giving very little direction. Despite this complete lack of communication on the client's end, I provided the work above and beyond what was requested considering the low price. 

After a day of no response on the direct messaging, I submitted my work for the milestone. Almost immediately, he messaged me this:

"Sorry for the late feedback I actually already got another logo made, you weren’t able to capture my image for the logo but I do have another job for you if your interested?"

Now, obviously I won't be moving forward on this other mystery job without getting paid for the work I've already done. Is there anything I should do beyond leaving the milestone submission up? 

A client shouldn't get to decide after the work has been done that they don't wish to pay for it, especially when they've given little to no feedback. It seems like the entire reason we're paying a 20% fee is so we can have the assurance that we will be paid, no? What is the best course of action going forward? I only have a few jobs under my belt at this point, I don't want to get a bad review just because a client decided to be a jerk. I don't think I will continue to work on this site if this is a common occurance. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's his fault that he has made another logo. I would not return anything back, and not work further with him if he doesn't fully pay.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
a_lipsey
Community Member

If he does not request revisions, and you've submitted the work, then payment will be released in a few days to you. I think it's 14 days. The client would have to request a refund of the funds in escrow, and you would then dispute it, showing that the  work had been provided. HOWEVER, it doesn't sound like you will pay the fee for arbitration, so it behooves you to try and either negotiate a partial payment with the client. 

HOWEVER, I would also report this to UpWork. The client simply cannot hire you then not talk to you, while you are completing the work, and then not pay you when the work is compete. He had a duty to inform you that he did not need the work so you would not waste time. It doesn't matter if he no longer needed the work; he didn't inform you and so you completed it. 

I would first just stick to my guns and wait to see if he requests a refund. If he does, I would dispute it and try to work out a partial payment. 

Yeah, the best course of action seems to be to wait the 14 days and hopefully get paid for my labor. This seems like a huge hole in the Upwork system, but I don't exactly know how it could be improved. 

Hopefully they just let it stand for the 14 days and I end up getting paid. I really don't know if I can continue getting hired if this person decides they want to give me a negative review for simply expecting feedback and payment for my labor. 

tlbp
Community Member

I don't think you will get very far arguing that you should be paid for the final logo if you just got to the rough passes stage. The client should pay you for the work you've completed. But, fixed-price contracts are very much based on the deliverables. And, the client can cancel prior to receipt of the deliverables. 😞

This is not complicated. Here are my simple rules for "how decent human beings behave with fixed-price contracts":

If a client funded escrow for a task, and a freelancer did that task, then the client needs to release the escrow money to the freelancer.

If the freelancer has NOT done any work on the task, and the client asks for the money back, the freelancer needs to refund the money.

If the freelancer has NOT completed the task, and the client wants some money back, then the client may ask the freelancer to refund money proportionate to the amount of the task not yet finished. The freelancer should make a determination, and issue a refund.

That's it.

I didn't simply get to the rough passes phase. I submitted a number of passes, the client gave me little to no direction. I took that tiny bit of direction (essentially a requestion to make it look cooler lol) and made more final, colorised versions than we even agreed upon. I believe in going above and beyond for my clients, so I didn't really mind doing a few extra versions so the client could pick a version they enjoyed.

After doing so, the client gave a few small notes, which I addressed with some more final, colorised versions. After waiting for a response, I submitted the project for the milestone. At which he decided to immediately respond telling me:

"Sorry for the late feedback I actually already got another logo made, you weren’t able to capture my image for the logo but I do have another job for you if your interested?"

I most certiainly did more than enough work to justify the 80 dollars I would recieve.

I hate to say this  but the best option is probably going to be offering a partial refund. It sucks, but it would be the best resolution likely. You can't pay $291 to go to arbitration for $80. Get what you can in a partial payment and move on. This was a cheap client so you're getting the behavior of a cheap client. Learn the lesson not to devalue yourself in the future and you won't deal with this much more.  

It's very hard to stomach getting paid half of an already low price for quality work when you have a child to feed and a family to support, but hey. I guess this is how the site works?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Edward D wrote:

It's very hard to stomach getting paid half of an already low price for quality work when you have a child to feed and a family to support, but hey. I guess this is how the site works?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Just steer clear from the cheapskates and don't undervalue yourself in the future. All of my clients have been incredible to work with! 

It's also important to be careful with milestones and fixed-price contracts in terms of deliverables and milestones so you don't get left in a lurch. In the future, perhaps a milestone for the first draft submission?  Just be prepared they may walk away after the first payment. But at least you would get paid for some of your work.  From what I have seen on the forums, everyone who successfully uses fixed-price contracts has a slightly different way of creating milestones and deliverables so it suits their field and work.  Sometimes there is some trial and error, but if you are choosy and vet your clients properly, it shouldn't be a huge deal. 

It's his fault that he has made another logo. I would not return anything back, and not work further with him if he doesn't fully pay.

edwarddinzole
Community Member

the issue has been remedied with the client. Thank you for all your help everyone! 

on a related note, how can I mark this problem as solved?

joansands
Community Member

Edward - Unfortunately, you are going to come across some clients who are very difficult but you will also find clients who are really great and who you enjoy working with. You just need to keep at it. It's too bad you got such a low feedback early on but you will overcome that over time.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members