🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What should I do if client does not pay hourl...
Page options
paromaarefin
Community Member

What should I do if client does not pay hourly money?

Hi! I worked for my client in hourly basis. From the beginning,  I said that the work will be more than 10 hours. She says she will set it to 10 hours, if I need ro extend, she will then extend it.

She set it to 10 hours.and as it was the beginning of week, I said I will need more time and should I take it? She agreed.

But now she says she will pay for 10 hours, not for additional 5 hours. Though the work was good, she says it needed corrections. I said I will make corrections. But she did not ask to make corrections. She just says she will not pay for additional 5 hours and she will complain to upwork.

9 REPLIES 9
sofia2008
Community Member

If you use the Time Tracker properly you might be protected if all criterias are met, but manual time is not protected.

There was no manual tracking

Did you add the manual time in the Work Diary?

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I have more than once had a new client agree that the total hours needed for a project is hard to assess upfront and then have them say later they can really only afford to pay for the initial time estimate. Not my budget; not my problem. I was upfront about the work time needed on the project being uncertain. (Which is why I only do hourly, not fixed price, projects.)

If you have properly tracked work using TimeTracker for the total number of hours the client has told both you and Upwork you are allowed to work and the client won't approve adding more hours to the project, then you are done working on this project. And Upwork's excellent hourly payment protection will ensure you get paid for those hours.

Unless you, the client or Upwork close the project, the same hours will be available to you again in the new work week beginning on Monday, but if you track additional hours without the client's specific agreement in writing on the project message board, that is not a good idea (ethically) and you are certain to get negative feedback from the client. Which you may get anyway.

Good luck!

paromaarefin
Community Member

I did not use the time tracker without the consent of the client. Even actually I worked withouy time tracker logged in so that I can finish my work and deliver it on deadline. She does not say what is wrong with the work, but says that she will not pay for additional hours. I am not concerned about the payment,  but I am concerned why she does not let me know  what corrections she needs and besides I am confident that the formatting was completely okay. 

bobafett999
Community Member

Is that the dissertation job?  If the buyer doesn't pay you can hurt their reputation by writing a nasty note to the chairman of the department.  You can claim that you wrote most of it. Like academic fraud.

The job she is working on won't appear until she gets payment.

pudingstudio
Community Member

Paroma A wrote:

Hi! I worked for my client in hourly basis. From the beginning,  I said that the work will be more than 10 hours. She says she will set it to 10 hours, if I need ro extend, she will then extend it.

She set it to 10 hours.and as it was the beginning of week, I said I will need more time and should I take it? She agreed.

But now she says she will pay for 10 hours, not for additional 5 hours. Though the work was good, she says it needed corrections. I said I will make corrections. But she did not ask to make corrections. She just says she will not pay for additional 5 hours and she will complain to upwork.

Love that, they are going to lodge a complaint with Star Command.

What could their complain even be? "Freelancer provided work, yet.. I'd like to complain. This morning, my coffee was..cold..?"

lysis10
Community Member

You got played. lol

When the clock runs out, you wait for the next week or if they pause it you tell them "welp, I won't be working until you unpause it."

Paroma A wrote:

I did not use the time tracker without the consent of the client. Even actually I worked withouy time tracker logged in so that I can finish my work and deliver it on deadline. She does not say what is wrong with the work, but says that she will not pay for additional hours. I am not concerned about the payment,  but I am concerned why she does not let me know  what corrections she needs and besides I am confident that the formatting was completely okay. 

These threads are always so fascinating. The people who say it's not about the money are always making these threads, but I think people who say this are all about the money but like to say these things because they think it makes them look righteous or something.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths