🐈 Community
nahid_hridoy

What should I do now? Bad Client Experience !

Hi,

I am currently facing some problem with one of client and I am not sure what should I do now. I need some advice from the experts.

I worked for a client on his two projects before. He was very happy with work and payment & communication was good. We communicate about the project on Upwork & Skype. those two projects were similar. I have to create websites buy a domain and hosting and then make the website live. Domain and hosting price was included in the project price. I completed the projects and he was happy with my work.

This month he knocked me on skype and told me that he has a similar project for me. But he wants to pay me via PayPal because currently, he has no upwork account (may be suspended). I told him that I only accept job via Upwork.  Then after few hours he knocked me again on skype and told me that his team-member/friend will give me the job offer via Upwork and told me to accept it. I talked with his teammate in Upwork and accepted the job. I worked all night and completed the task. He thanked me for my work and told me that he will tell his team-member/friend to approve the milestone. After few hours he told me to buy another domain and hosting. He told me to request extra payment for the domain and hosting cost when I will submit the milestone. Which I did.

After that, I didn't hear from them in 1 week. Then I got a notification form Up work that my client asks for a refund. So I asked him (team member) "Why he asks for the refund, is there any problem".  This time he responded and told me that it was a mistake. So, I told him to resolve the issue. Then he told me he thinks I asked too much for domain & hosting.

I bought the domain for $10 (.com domain) + $1 additional cost

and hosting for $14 (for 1 year)

Now I am not sure what should I do about the refund issue. By the way, They are using the sites. Both sites are live. I did all the work plus paid for the domains and hostings. He didn't resolve the refund issue and it was 3 days ago. According to upwork's policy, I have to do something  (approve/or dispute) within 4 days. And approve isn't a solution for me.

I am sorry for the long message.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tinker_bell3

Hi Nahid,

I'm sorry to hear of this issue. Someone from the team will reach out to assist you directly. You can access your ticket here.  Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter

You are dealing with a client so cheap that he is complaining about paying $14 for a year of web hosting??

That is a shocking story.

If you personally bought both the domain name and the web hosting account, don't you still have the access credentials?

If he won't pay for it, it does not belong to him. If you still have the credentials, then change the password to something the client does not know.

Tell him: "Jim, I like working with you and want to help you out, but Upwork has strict policies about not doing free work. They say that ownership of work can't be transferred until the work has been paid for. Could you please release payment and close the contract. That way I can make sure I won't get in any trouble from Upwork. After you release payment and close the contract I will send you the domain name and web hosting account passwords so that you will have full control of the website."

@Preston H wrote:

Tell him: "Jim, I like working with you and want to help you out, but Upwork has strict policies about not doing free work. They say that ownership of work can't be transferred until the work has been for. Could you please release payment and close the contract. That way I can make sure I won't get in any trouble from Upwork. After you release payment and close the contract I will send you the domain name and web hosting account passwords so that you will have full control of the website."

That is a terrible, TERRIBLE idea and will likely see his account suspended. Messing with the credentials to the client's website while there is a potential dispute is one thing Upwork has no sense of humour over, AT ALL.

I also don't believe plump and transparent lies such as "I will get into trouble with Upwork" are the way to go.

OP, if the dispute can not be resolved between you and the client just press the Dispute button and let it go to Mediation, the client probably won't bother with it over a handful of Dollars.

I am not advising the freelancer to lie to the client.

Upwork's policies in these matters are clear.

@Preston H wrote:

I am not advising the freelancer to lie to the client.

Upwork's policies in these matters are clear.

Of course you are and "Upwork's policies" do not call funded milestones doing "free work."

I can assure you that any sabotage of the client's website would result in serious and possibly terminal action on the OPs account.

There is a dispute process in place. Said dispute process does not include sabotage and lies.

Yes, I have all the access credentials.

Thank you so much for your advice.

tinker_bell3

Hi Nahid,

I'm sorry to hear of this issue. Someone from the team will reach out to assist you directly. You can access your ticket here.  Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank You.

Learning Paths