cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do with a rude client?

Jose Alberto S Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
1 of 5

I have a client that paid (48$)me for a 15 seconds intro, he told me that if I can do it in a 4K resolution I told him that 4K resolution has an extra price (68$), he refused to pay extra for it so he kept the first price ( for the price he is paying I  send him a pretty good job in HD resolution), later  he gave me an image with a logo to use it for the intro, 2 days later I sent him the job done  and he started complaining that the resolution quaily was poor and that the image of his logo wasn't pretty cool (he gave me that image).
I told him that there's no way that the intro has a poor quality cause it is FULL HD (Full HD is pretty pretty decent), so he sent me a new image and told me to do a new intro using this new image, I did it.

So the next day he started complaining a lot about the work, when I confronted him, he told me something like "OK OK, YOU ARE RIGHT JUST MAKE ME ONE MORE INTRO NOW USING THIS IMAGE (A DIFFERENT ONE) AND I WILL APPROVE THE MILESTONE" 
At this point, I feel like my own client is abusing of my services and kindness I mean if he wants a new intro using a different image, he should pay extra for it and not to mention that his way of ask for things is mean and rude.
I don't want to cancel the contract cause I have invested so many time that right now I really need the money so what should I do?

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
2 of 5

Well, if you don't want to cancel the contract for this job, what you can do is to keep giving him free work since you've already given him 2 completed images/logos for free and are ready to give him yet another one. You say you need the money, but unless this client funds or funded escrow, if this is a fixed rate job, you will not get paid then what you've already been paid or funded. . 

If you've completed the requirements of the initial job, and a client wants extra work, you can either let him know that you'll be glad to do that as soon as he funds $XXX for the scope of work above and beyond what was originally required. 

Or

You can ask him to close the contract and hire you for an HOURLY job. That way, no matter how many logos you have to do, you'll be paid for the hours you worked. 

This client is a scammer. He looks for new freelancers  and if he gets away with doing one thing he'll continue as long as you supply. He already refused to pay extra for any additional work. And now he's trying to get one last job/logo for free. So he'll have 4 logs for the price of just one. If he doesn't fund escrow, or change to an hourly job, then walk away from this job. Close the contract but NOT until you have the original (first) payment deposited into your bank or credit card. Don't be surprised if this client asks for a refund. If he does. dispute it all the way up to arbitration if you have to. Do not give him a refund. 

Community Guru
Rafsun S Member Since: Feb 10, 2018
3 of 5

Same condition here with a client. It's very hard to deal with this kind of client because they don't want to respect and it feels like that they came here to get free work and bother freelancers. And after closing the contract, there is high possibility to get a bad feedback also from those kinds of bad people. 

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
4 of 5

Kathy is spot on!  It may be of future assistance to you to remember these:

In business as in life, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.

If someone doesn't appreciate your efforts, stop trying to please them.  If they don't appreciate you, they don't deserve you.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
5 of 5

Rafsun S wrote:

Same condition here with a client. It's very hard to deal with this kind of client because they don't want to respect and it feels like that they came here to get free work and bother freelancers. And after closing the contract, there is high possibility to get a bad feedback also from those kinds of bad people. 

--------------

That's exactly how these clients operate. They know exactly what to do and how to do it because they've done it before and have gotten away with it before. You are under no obligation to work for these types of clients. Remember, they are NOT your employer. You are a business providing a service to a client. If you get negative feedback, just respond to it professionaly. No ranting, no long explanation, no whinning. Something to the effect. of, 

I've received this negative feedback, not for the work I've done, but because this client wanted more work then was originally agreed on but didn't want to pay for all that extra work. 

When you continue to give free work, or refund money owed, you teach and/or reinforce this concept to the client, that this is how you can get your work done and don't have to pay for it. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS